Heat n Glo 6000GDVFL exhibiting strange behavior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fretmonarch

Oct 30, 2021
When I turn off the fireplace at the wall switch, the flame extinguishes normally, but then, about every 15-20 seconds, the fireplace will light momentarily for a split second and then go out. It then repeats over and over. It's as though a little gas is escaping through the valve, building up in the burner, lighting, then repeating. This fireplace is 24 years old and has never been serviced by anyone. It's not really used very much but the birthdays have piled up! Any advice would be appreciated.

Is there a "Tech" switch underneath the firebox, in the valve cavity?
Does the unit exhibit the same symptoms when you use THAT switch?

Is there a "Tech" switch underneath the firebox, in the valve cavity?
Does the unit exhibit the same symptoms when you use THAT switch?
There is a black "on/off" switch next to the ignitor. I just relit the fireplace using that switch (the wall switch is off) and will report back once the fireplace has warmed up a bit.

Reactions: DAKSY
There is a black "on/off" switch next to the ignitor. I just relit the fireplace using that switch (the wall switch is off) and will report back once the fireplace has warmed up a bit.
So, I've tested both switches a couple of times and can't replicate the issue. It's now acting normally. I suspect the behavior may come back if my mechanical sensibilities are correct. I'm not familiar with the valve design but I suspect a degradation of whatever seating arrangement is employed in the design. Any thoughts? Am I on target or completely off the reservation?

The reason I asked you to try the tech switch was to use that process as a test for the wall switch.
They do go bad, & probably should be replaced every 12-15 years.
If it's working now, I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with it.
Report back if the issue crops up again.