Heat N GLo EM 42 replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crashmymax

Dec 2, 2018
south dakota
I am looking for something to replace my old heat n glo. Insert is not allowed in this model. I hope to find something that will fit without the need to modify the front of the fireplace. I can pull it out from the back wall of course looking for something efficient that can actually heat a room. Also would be nice to find something that can use the existing chimney or just have a liner installed. I think I will need it to heat about a 2000 sq foot area. I thought this would be an easy project but I was very wrong.

Not gonna be easy & it won't be inexpensive, either. The EM-42 isn't manufactured any more &
the venting may not be compatible with newer units. I have done ZC wood box tear outs & have
replaced them with EPA-Rated units like the HnG Northstar.
A FULL 8 hours of work & maybe more with a two-man crew...
Probably cost you close to $10K USD at today's rates..

That's beyond my budget. I do plan on installing the unit myself. That's why I'm looking for a simple install. The quadrafire 7100 appears to use the same chimney as the em42 did but I dont know how to confirm that. It's also arched and my opening is square.