Heat N Glo flame height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bashr52

Nov 19, 2019
VA
Good Morning All.

We just bought and installed a Heat N Glo Slimline 5x we got as a great deal as a floor model from a company who was going out of business. We've had some issues to deal with (like being told it was all ready for LP when really it was NG), but overall it is installed and working. I replaced the valve body with one for an LP stove, and that has solved most of the issues, but we still have an issue with the flame height. The fireplace seems to be either on or off, with no regulation to the flame size at all. Using the remote I can dial it between high and low, the stepper motor turns the regulator, but the flame height does not change. Running it at the lowest setting last night for about 20-30 minutes caused the glass, brick, and logs to all turn black. The flame height is enough to touch the top of the stove enclosure. I have the dip switch set to LP, and the flame height switch set to low.

I'm thinking this may be an issue with to high of an incoming pressure setting? As a trial I partially turned the shutoff to restrict the flow to the valve body, and managed to get what I consider a more manageable flame height, but even then the setting between high/low does nothing on the remote.

The incoming gas is run from the main line after the regulator coming into the house from an underground 250lb tank.

Ideas?

Doesn't sound like you used a HHT APPROVED LP conversion kit.
There IS one designated SPECIFICALLY for this model.
That kit contains the LP regulator head, new screws & O-ring.
Did you change the burner & pilot orifices?
They should have been in the package with the owner's & installation manual.
You also need to pull the burner & open the air shutter to the dimension in the
install manual.

I used part number 2166-303. It is an official HHT part. I opened the air shutter as far as possible. There are two studs at the bottom of the shutter, one has a wing nut that can be loosened and the shutter slid open from below. It hits the rear stud at the back of the slot so I'm assuming it's fully open. Is there a burner orfice that needs to be changed to? Since this was a floor model and the place is out of business I didn't get anything with the unit, just the way it was installed in the showroom.

What is your gas pressure some of the Propane systems in my area are starting to run 2 pound systems like natural gas, due to the demand of the gas system in the house. I would start with that and verifying that you have the correct parts kit.

I would convert the original valve body with the proper part for it not one for a LP stove like your first post states sometimes things fit the way they should but do not have the same turndown ratio.

Does the venting follow the guide lines layed out in the Manual as well? improper venting can be another source of sooting issues?

Pictures are worth a thousand words also

I Just found a copy of the manual online and ordered the only 2 parts for an LP stove I have not replaced yet, the pilot and burner orifices. Once I get them installed I will report back if there is still an issue.

I did talk to the gas company and they already have the pressure to the house regulated to 1/2 psi.

Added the LP main burner and pilot. Flame height is now controlled, but now I think it may be on the low side. On high, the flame height is 1/2-3/4 the height of the logs.

Glad to hear that you got the correct LP parts installed and you are up and running now.

One thing you can try to increase the flame height is to close the air shutter for the burner slightly