heat n glo northstar fan and cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

williemon

Feb 9, 2011
south east
Ive been using this unit for roughly 5 years now. I clean the chimney (sl300 with cak) from the bottom up each year with a metal wire brush. I get shiny creosote that looks like instant coffee crystals each time. For the past 3 years Ive burnt a good bit of dry pine splits, but this year I also ran a few slow fires that was really stopped down too much.

Upon removing the baffle board this year to clean it, I saw a 3 inch tall mound of creosote chips on top of it. Ive seen this before, but not this much. They were small in nature like 1/8 inch size chips. Once the board and secondary burn tubes were out, I stuck my head inside with a dim flashlight and looked up. I have about 1 foot of chimney, then an offset and then back to straight up. I can see all the way to the top of the chimney cap and the sun was illuminating the top. I saw creosote on the immediate pipe and into the offset. It was just a thin covering, and a bit of it was falling off.

I then got up, pushed the brush up into the opening and started the bottom up cleaning. I got quite a bit of creosote pretty quick in the first 5 feet of chimney. Then as I got further up, there was very little falling out.

I would brush about a two foot section back and forth about 6 to 7 times and then move up to the next two foot part. Once I was at top, I did the same process back down. Most of the creosote came out during the first part of the bottom 5 feet and was roughly shiny, flaky and about 1/8 to 3/16 inch in size. Is it normal to have more in the bottom area than the top? I have not been on the roof, the cap looks good and clean when viewed with a telephoto lens and all seems well.

On another note, The fans in this unit have a bad transformer hum. They always have and its pretty loud when the fans are at a very slow setting. Id like them to be quiet while running with just a light bit of air flow. Anyone else have this issue and would replacement fans help?

Status
Not open for further replies.