Heat N Glo Northstar (heat zone kit)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irelandchad

Dec 28, 2016
Michigan
Long time reader first time poster

I have a Heat N Glo Northstar fireplace with a heat zone kit that drops to the basement. The piping is aprox 10ft with 3 bends and it exits about 1 foot from the wall on the ceiling.

Recently finished a portion of the basement where the heat zone is located so I never really used it before today. The area it is heating is aprox 300 square feet.

The fan on the heat zone ran for several hours keeping the room very comfortable. But when I entered the room after this period of time is smelled warm. Upon further investigation the vent grill and surrounding drywall was so hot I could not touch it.

Anyone ever experience this situation? Normal? Alarming? Should I call the factory/dealer?

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 212
Do you have an IR gun to test it? I'm not sure how this system is installed and what type of ducting is used. I would have concerns if it was more than 100 degrees over ambient air temp (So maybe 180 degrees). At that temp you can probably get a 2 count before it's to hot to touch.

I do not have an IR gun but that is a good idea. The piping is all B vent. I called the dealer I bought it from and they are supposed to call me back.

Status
Not open for further replies.