Heat Pump Hot Water Heater in Basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How does any authority know that you plan to, or even if you did, swap a breaker panel on your own? Does your local Lowes Depot require proof of license at point of purchase?

If I need to replace a breaker panel, I buy one and do it. Never even thought to call any inspector to ask for permission or inspection, any more than I’d think to ask them to come evaluate my wood splitting skills.
You could extend that to doing anything that would require a permit, without pulling a permit- if you get caught after the fact, it could end up hurting big.

If I need to replace a breaker panel, I buy one and do it. Never even thought to call any inspector to ask for permission or inspection, any more than I’d think to ask them to come evaluate my wood splitting skills.
I think if you checked, you would find that needs to be inspected. There is a huge difference between splitting wood and installing infrastructure that could kill people. It's the reason for permitting and inspecting core electrical work.

Reactions: Highbeam
I think if you checked, you would find that needs to be inspected. There is a huge difference between splitting wood and installing infrastructure that could kill people. It's the reason for permitting and inspecting core electrical work.
I agree, but I have done my own electrical work, adding breakers for new branch circuits. Saw ping breakers to make more space, Adding lights and receptacles all without a permit and therefore inspection. Every time I feel like I have left it safer than when I started. ( note to everyone reading next time you have power to the panel cut and the cover off re-torque all the connections. I had at least 5 very loose).

I’m not opposed to a homeowner doing work, and my work would not pass inspection I’m sure but not for safety reasons. I ran out of covers when working two years ago and left it off the j box in the ceiling. I should fix that. My strain relief were entering conduits wouldn’t pass. Location of receptacles won’t pass. But each time I work on a circuit I add afci protection where require. Change out old worn receptacles.

Having the knowledge and available parts to do the job right is important. Don’t attempt if you don’t have both. But a would likely ignore any jurisdiction that told me I was able to do my own work.

I may challenge myself to do a permitted solar install in the next year or two. But I’m not ready for that yet.

How does any authority know that you plan to, or even if you did, swap a breaker panel on your own? Does your local Lowes Depot require proof of license at point of purchase?

The suggestion was to install a *sub panel* which makes sense. If I were to do that without a permit, then, when I eventually add more solar to my home or upgrade my A/C to heat pumps, both of those projects will require a contractor who will pull a permit. When an inspector comes to look at that work, he will clearly see the sub panel and know it wasn't done under permit. It's just a way for a small town to generate revenue both for the town and electricians who live in the town.

I think if you checked, you would find that needs to be inspected.
Now that you mention this, I don't think I've ever checked! ;lol

If I had let an inspector into this house upon moving in, they'd have likely failed much of the work done by the professional electricians hired by prior owners. I've replaced a lot of sketchy work over the last 11 years, and I know for a fact that the prior owners had it all done by licensed professionals.

I had also missed the OP stating the house was not his primary residence. I can definitely see good reason for not allowing DIY in commercial or rental space, where an owner may be less concerned about safety, versus the building in which he or she sleeps each night. I can also see justification in having an inspection protocol, as every thread on residential wiring you'll find on this forum or others is chock full of indicators that too many people think they know what they're doing, but don't.

Reactions: EbS-P
I have had several pro jobs done in my house over the years, and paid an inspection fee on all those contracts (which pays the inspector). But I have never seen the inspector show up on my property, nor did I ever receive an inspection report from the Township.

I think the pros are just pocketing the fees and not getting the inspection done.

Do y'all get an inspection report that you can file away?

Reactions: Ashful
I have had several pro jobs done in my house over the years, and paid an inspection fee on all those contracts (which pays the inspector). But I have never seen the inspector show up on my property, nor did I ever receive an inspection report from the Township.

I think the pros are just pocketing the fees and not getting the inspection done.

Do y'all get an inspection report that you can file away?
I never got one but you can look up a property and see what permits were pulled. In fact anyone house shopping I always tell them to look at permits and see if anything looks newer than the last permit. That’s a red flag.

Reactions: woodgeek
Having the knowledge and available parts to do the job right is important.
And that is the difference, plus the right tools. Very few have all, even if they think they do.

I'm not disagreeing, I too have done home wiring with and without inspection, but good electrical knowledge is uncommon. My dad had a master's electrician's license for 27 yrs and I went out on many calls with him after school as well as apprenticing when I was young. I make sure my work will pass inspection without question and I don't cut corners.

That said, I have also seen and corrected some terrible work by licensed electricians. Knowledge is only part of the equation. Respect for code and the risks to the lives of others is another part.

PS: Good tip on checking connection tightness in the panel when in there. I too have found several loose screws on breakers and neutrals. And in some cases, I have also seen crisped insulation due to overheating at that point.

Reactions: woodgeek and EbS-P
...in our town you're not allowed to do your own electrical)...
Are you 100% sure? AFAIK, in Massachusetts the homeowner is indeed allowed to do their own electrical work -- as long as it meets NEC 2020. That being said, many AHJ's put undue pressure on homeowners if they attempt to pull a permit for their own electric work -- this from experience.

Reactions: Ashful