1. Marshy

Marshy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    He doesn't have any return protection.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Mine opens a bit & stays there, no off/on effect.

If you knew what your boiler circ was pumping, you could figure it out. If you had 120 cold from storage, mixed 140 to boiler return, and 160 boiler supply, that would roughly correlate to 1/2 of boiler output going around the bypass and 1/2 going to storage. So if your boiler circ was pumping say 5gpm, that would be 2.5 gpm to storage - 400 minutes for one full lap, at which point your boiler return would go from mixed 140, to 160 not mixed. Which is quite a while. But that number is likely on the low side, maybe. Second lap would be half as long. Depends also if any of your heat is going to loads or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Marshy

Marshy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    It's not worth the mental aggravation to figure thst out because all the while the boiler outlet temp would be increasing as the fire rages inside it. It would be a dynamic change and before long your boiler jacket is 200F and the more heat is being sent to the tank.

Fred61 likes this.
  4. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I didn't find much at all worthwhile actually figuring out when I was doing my setup. I just winged most of it, seat of pants like, and ended up kinda lucky in some thing I did the way I did. Maybe not the recommended approach.

But I have found that boiler temp stays pretty constant thru the burn, by lap. First lap (2/3 of burn time?), it's 160-165 out, second lap maybe 185 out. dT stays pretty steady at either. Also my fire is burning out part way thru lap 2. It's good to have a 3 speed boiler pump, you can get the dT you want pretty easy, then it's set & forget.

BoiledOver likes this.
  5. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    That's right and meanwhile the Danfoss is tempering the flow allowing more system water through as the temperature rises. Efficiency rises as the boiler heats up which allows the fire to burn hotter.

Marshy likes this.