Heatilator cab50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jack9211

Nov 28, 2015
Jackman, Maine
I am searching for the best bang for my buck.....these are my 3 finalists

pelpro pp130.......1225.00

timber ridge 55-TRPIP......1375 delivered

heatilator cab50......1499.00

I am leaning towards the cab50......there are at least 30 in use in this small community. so there is help if needed

Hi there! I'm a newbie here, this is my 1st post, just joined today. I ordered a CAB 50 yesterday ro be installed in a few weeks from a local dealer/installer. Hoping to learn from the board, as i know very little about these things. I have a house in central Massachusetts and oil is our only option for heating in this town.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what pellets to steer clear of, and which ones would be a best use?

Thanks!

Reactions: bags
It would be easier if you find out what pellets are available in your area and let us know, and then we could let you know your best choices. Pellets are usually regional.

Hey Jack- Good stove, great price and really like your avatar pix..... good luck with your stove..

I am searching for the best bang for my buck.....these are my 3 finalists

pelpro pp130.......1225.00

timber ridge 55-TRPIP......1375 delivered

heatilator cab50......1499.00

I am leaning towards the cab50......there are at least 30 in use in this small community. so there is help if needed

Cab-50 by far. That is a great price. My retail is $2000. I can not even get them at that price.

Eric

It would be easier if you find out what pellets are available in your area and let us know, and then we could let you know your best choices. Pellets are usually regional.
I ordered from a place in Acton, MA that sells "New England Hardwood Pellets" by the ton or bag, so i ordered 1 ton, we'll see how that goes. according to their website, they burn less than .4% ash.

Usually best to buy a few bags of different brands to see what works best in your stove in your home. If you find something that burns better, you can always mix together.

Usually best to buy a few bags of different brands to see what works best in your stove in your home. If you find something that burns better, you can always mix together.
Thanks for the info! Ive been told to stay away from the pellets sold at the home improvement places and wholesale clubs. I bought this 1st ton of pellets from a local dealer that manufactures them on their own in places around MA and NH for two reasons:
1) The reviews offered on them
2) I prefer to give my $ to local businesses
So, we'll see how it goes! Thanks for the help!

Only 1 more week until the Cab50 is installed in a corner of our living room!

I ordered a pre-made corner threshold, but have been thinking of adding a tile or backsplash to the wall behind it before it is installed. I am hesitant because they have told me they are going to have to run the exhaust pipe upwards, towards the top of the ceiling, then out the wall. Not knowing where it'll exit, i would hate to have tile there and need to be ripped off. Also, i have the standard 3" trim around the floor, and am pretty sure i'll have to cut and remove it if i want to have a nice transition.

Looking for feedback, because id imagine it's a huge pain in the butt to try to tile behind the cab50.

Thanks.

You can get great prices on pellets at home improvement places etc; You just need to know what you are dealing with. I have bought Somersets at Lowes more than once for really great prices. You'll figure it out and the first season is always a process and learning curve.

The Cab 50's are good stoves and I like them also but if I were shopping for a lower priced stove now I'd be hard pressed not to purchase the Castle Serenity. Congrats and welcome!

Thanks for the tip!

I ordered a delivery of a ton of pellets from a local dealer that produces them from their Lumber Yards in MA and NH. I did a lot of homework on them, and apparently they have a quality product. Also, i prefer to give my $ to local businesses, but i do go to Lowes and HD when im in a bind.

Cab50 is installed and running!!

Next, i'll put some tile behind it, fence in front, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_2036.JPG
    IMG_2036.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 311
Looks good,. Enjoy

Many fans of the Cab 50's around here. Good stoves. Nice job! Enjoy it and stay warm.

I have my P68 running right now. Just knocking the chill off this AM and sitting in front of it in the Boss Lady's spot with my lap top.

Reactions: rich2500
Cab50 is installed and running!!

Next, i'll put some tile behind it, fence in front, etc.
Looks good and enjoy the heat! Tiling behind might have been easier before install ... Spring project? Must have some little folks so the gate is a good plan:)

Looks good and enjoy the heat! Tiling behind might have been easier before install ... Spring project? Must have some little folks so the gate is a good plan:)

Yeah, titling would've been easier, but I wasn't sure of the true coloring of the pad it's sitting on. I'll just take my time and get it done.

Question: The installer put the thermostat above and a little behind the unit (as you can clearly see in the picture). Any recommendations as to is I should move it or leave it be?

Thanks

Seems to be a fairly good spot based on past discussions. Too far out into the room and you get an unnatural high reading, too low and you get an unnaturally low reading.

Good spot. Here's why. Similar to the room probes on the Uppity Stoves. Cooler air replaces warmer air. Everyone should research how air really moves.

Yes, It is warm around the stove. Get it hot and running and then wave your hand around all areas. In front = hot. Sides = .... depends on the stove. Feel it out and figure it out.

Get an IR gun so you can have fun and be semi-effortless as to getting fairly accurate temps about the place............... Calculate your own situation and math. Where your stat is will be cooler, Regardless.

Pertaining to your pic.

Reactions: rich2500
Just in time here in Massachusetts! Been cold and snowy!

I have a couple questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with. Around the spot in the stove where the pellets come out and drop into the stove, the fire has already miscolored the nice black baffle plate. Is this normal?

Next question, anyone have a recommendation on an ash vac? I'm looking to get one this weekend.

Thanks!