Heatilator CD4842IR no longer works

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rogerdodger

Sep 24, 2021
PA
Hey everybody!

We have a Heatilator CD4842IR installed in our home. I meant to fix it last year but other projects got in the way.

Last year, I could somewhat consistently get the pilot to light with the wall switch and get consistent spark. Today, she sparked once then nothing at all. I made sure the gas shutoff valve was in the 'on' position.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

Unplug the transformer from the junction box underneath the fire box.
Put 2 'D' batteries in the harness. Does the unit spark when you hit the switch?

Reactions: EEProf
Wow, that did the trick! Never seen it spark like that before. Fireplace turns on consistently now too! Plugging the transformer back in did not change anything. I guess we can mark this as solved?

Wow, that did the trick! Never seen it spark like that before. Fireplace turns on consistently now too! Plugging the transformer back in did not change anything. I guess we can mark this as solved?
Maybe. The transformer may be ready to crap out. At least you know that you can run the unit on batteries if it does. Might want to ask around to see where you can get a new one.