Heatilator Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Asterl

Mar 2, 2021
Ny
Hello,

We purchased a house with a fireplace that uses heatilator vents. We believe the former owner built it himself because there are computer fans in the lower sections and he was very DIY. We’ve had the thing inspected and it seems to be in decent shape, but my question is: can we cover the vents on the top/face of the fireplace and then put in new fans on the lower/side facing vents but have them blowing out rather than sucking air in to be pushed out the front? We will only be using the fireplace a few times a year, if that and want to put a mantle/tv on the front on it. What are my options if they can’t be covered and/or air sucked out instead of being sucked in? Can we do an insert or a pellet stove or something? Attached is a picture of the fireplace.

50FD495B-842A-430C-A819-ACC2B747E3EC.jpeg E4B03DED-D094-4AF0-935A-C3F9FE68E79B.jpeg 0CCC1368-C016-462C-BF66-CB7FF168E0B5.jpeg

Trying to reverse the flow will be fighting nature, hot air rises. And closing off the upper vents would mean that there is no intake. FWIW, TVs and heat are not the best companions and a TV up high can lead to neck cramps.

Reactions: Asterl
Hello,

We purchased a house with a fireplace that uses heatilator vents. We believe the former owner built it himself because there are computer fans in the lower sections and he was very DIY. We’ve had the thing inspected and it seems to be in decent shape, but my question is: can we cover the vents on the top/face of the fireplace and then put in new fans on the lower/side facing vents but have them blowing out rather than sucking air in to be pushed out the front? We will only be using the fireplace a few times a year, if that and want to put a mantle/tv on the front on it. What are my options if they can’t be covered and/or air sucked out instead of being sucked in? Can we do an insert or a pellet stove or something? Attached is a picture of the fireplace.

View attachment 275649 View attachment 275650 View attachment 275651
Nope

I've never seen such a large room with so many base board heaters. Is this room insulated? That fireplace likely lets a lot of heat out even when not in use.

Just run with no vents & block the bottom intakes since it will naturally circulate (more then likely not enough to hurt a tv though) If you do try to reverse the fans or replace them with your idea you might create a smoke into the room situation which wouldnt be good.

Technically you shouldn't block off any of the vents. We have no idea how much heat is in there or where it will go without the vents.

Trying to reverse the flow will be fighting nature, hot air rises. And closing off the upper vents would mean that there is no intake. FWIW, TVs and heat are not the best companions and a TV up high can lead to neck cramps.
Well, we don’t plan to use the fireplace often...maybe once or twice a year. We also don’t watch tv often...a little Sesame Street here and there for the little guy, but we want to put it up there. Ceilings aren’t super high, so the tv wouldn’t be much higher than eye level from across the room.

I've never seen such a large room with so many base board heaters. Is this room insulated? That fireplace likely lets a lot of heat out even when not in use.
Yes it’s insulated! I’m not sure why he put so much baseboard heat in, we’ve had people come out to look at it and they all say we need about half of what we have. Maybe since he had to run the pipes around the whole room anyway he thought they might as well be above the floor to give off heat?

Just run with no vents & block the bottom intakes since it will naturally circulate (more then likely not enough to hurt a tv though) If you do try to reverse the fans or replace them with your idea you might create a smoke into the room situation which wouldnt be good.
Ahhh, that’s a good point! We also can take the tv down when/if we use the fireplace, it wouldn’t be too much of a hassle. Here’s a picture of the lower vents. Also didn’t mean to post that outside picture on here, lol!

Attachments

• 184F4C30-6C48-4463-942B-3A6ABF06D8FF.jpeg
    184F4C30-6C48-4463-942B-3A6ABF06D8FF.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 209