Heatilator GCDC60 Remote/Wall switch troubleshooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dmir

Jan 22, 2020
IL
I have a Heatilator GCDC60 natural gas fireplace. It has a Robert Shaw 7000MVRB-5-LC gas valve and a Skytech RCT-MLT-II remote package with fan option and a wired wall switch. A few weeks back I was running the fireplace for probably as long as I ever have and it just shut off, remote transmitter started beeping. I assumed it was just a safety shut-off but in the weeks since I have not been able to restart the fireplace. I have done a lot of trouble shooting, replaced the wall switch, tried any resets on the transmitter, etc. And still nothing. I am at a point in my troubleshooting where if the wall switch is OFF and the transmitter/remote is OFF or in REMOTE mode, I can jumper the TH-TH/TP connections and will get a flame but as soon as I turn the transmitter to ON or the wall switch ON, the flame cuts out. What is this telling me? My first assumption was it was a bad wall switch, so I replaced that and it didn't work. My next thought is it is the switch component in the transmitter but i don't know how to take my troubleshooting to the next step. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.