Heatilator Mark 123 3036 + Upgraded Grates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

frikker

Dec 14, 2016
Midwest
Hi all -- just moved into a new house and am in the process of discovering the details around our fireplace. In the last 2 days I've figured out that it is a "Zero Clearance" prefab, Heatilator Mark 123 3036, likely installed when the home was built in the late '70s. I also understand now that inserts are no good because I would need a new chimney liner (at a minimum). All good -- the fireplace is in great shape from what I can tell and I'm happy with keeping it the way that it is. There are no glass doors, but there is a chain spark guard.

One thing that I am curious about, though, is an upgraded grate. The one that is currently there is a small basket style with a small ash box. Seems to work pretty well. I don't know, of course, if it is original. The previous owner used it along with ceramic logs to burn occasional boxes of flammable gel. I had a chimney sweep clean out the chimney, and everything seems to be good to go.

I found the Grate Wall of Fire which seems like a nice upgrade. I am looking at getting the small version of that grate with a 16" fireback plate to protect the back wall of the firebox, which is recommended for zero clearance fireplaces.

I am interested in this because of the potential for extra heat (which I admit has mixed reviews), but also because I am attracted to the idea of keeping the logs further back in the firebox (so they have a lesser chance of falling forward) and being able to load the logs without supposedly fussing around as much with moving logs back onto the embers. It also seems to burn more thoroughly, reducing the chance of logs that are burned all the way through falling forward in front of the ashbox, as they occasionally do with a basket style grate.

I have read online of people using these grates in their Heatilators without issue. However, given that I am new to being a fireplace owner I want to make sure I do this properly.

Thus, my question is: Is it safe/OK to upgrade to a Grate Wall of Fire and reflective Fireplate in this firebox?

Thanks!

Just wanted to see if anyone had any comments -- so far no takers. I've burned several fires in the place now and I am pretty comfortable with the fireplace. I think the fireback would be fine (and if anything could help protect the back wall).