Heatilator Novus NXT problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nxt

Mar 5, 2020
hays ks
We recently had installed a Heatilator Novus NXT in our new addition to our home. The installer put in a wall switch. The unit also has a remote. All the wall switch does is turn the unit off and when we turn it on it just activates the pilot light. It does not start and go to flame unless we use the remote. The dealer is trying to tell us that this is correct but on their website it shows the units starting and going to flame with a wall switch. The flame height and fan speed is adjusted then with the remote. Has anyone had any experience with this or have this unit with a wall switch? thank you for any input.

It is difficult to say what it should be doing without seeing how your installer wired it. It sounds like he wired the switch to control the standing pilot part of the Dexen Ipi control box. So when you turn the switch off it kills the pilot. Opposed to turning on the main burner. With the switch on, and the fireplace turned of via the remote do you still have a standing pilot visible ?

It is difficult to say what it should be doing without seeing how your installer wired it. It sounds like he wired the switch to control the standing pilot part of the Dexen Ipi control box. So when you turn the switch off it kills the pilot. Opposed to turning on the main burner. With the switch on, and the fireplace turned of via the remote do you still have a standing pilot visible ?
I'm not sure but will check. Thank you for the input

I'm not sure but will check. Thank you for the input
I also see that the rc200 remote has climate control ( the button that looks like a snow flake ) , start off with the wall switch in the on position , and press the snowflake button to see if it turns the pilot on and off. If it does , then leave the pilot in continuous pilot mode . Flip the wall switch off , if it kills pilot and the remote will not work turning it on . Then the Installer used the wall as a kill switch for the unit. Doesnt make much sense to me , but everyone has their own way of doing things.

I also see that the rc200 remote has climate control ( the button that looks like a snow flake ) , start off with the wall switch in the on position , and press the snowflake button to see if it turns the pilot on and off. If it does , then leave the pilot in continuous pilot mode . Flip the wall switch off , if it kills pilot and the remote will not work turning it on . Then the Installer used the wall as a kill switch for the unit. Doesnt make much sense to me , but everyone has their own way of doing things.
I believe you are correct. with the wall switch on the remote will turn the pilot off and on. If i leave the pilot on and turn and turn the wall switch off it kills the pilot and the remote will not function. It appears that the wall switch is a kill switch as you said. Can this be changed?

I believe you are correct. with the wall switch on the remote will turn the pilot off and on. If i leave the pilot on and turn and turn the wall switch off it kills the pilot and the remote will not function. It appears that the wall switch is a kill switch as you said. Can this be changed?
I would demand from the shop you bought the unit from that this be corrected , to a turn the unit on ( main burner ) so you dont have to rely on the remote in the event it gets lost. Make sure you do put batteries in The battery pack in the event of a power outage during the winter. And change them every other year to be safe. Good luck :)
keep in mind the wall switch would have to be in the off position for for remote to work properly.

Last edited:
I would demand from the shop you bought the unit from that this be corrected , to a turn the unit on ( main burner ) so you dont have to rely on the remote in the event it gets lost. Make sure you do put batteries in The battery pack in the event of a power outage during the winter. And change them every other year to be safe. Good luck :)
keep in mind the wall switch would have to be in the off position for for remote to work properly.
Thank you. Can I ask are you an installer or an electrician. We have asked several times, they have came and looked at it and are telling us that this is the way it is? Just does not seem correct to us. Is this a simple correction to make, as in the switch wires just need changed inside the unit?

Thank you. Can I ask are you an installer or an electrician. We have asked several times, they have came and looked at it and are telling us that this is the way it is? Just does not seem correct to us. Is this a simple correction to make, as in the switch wires just need changed inside the unit?
Former installer , degree in electrical engineering . The wiring diagram is in the following link. Use a rocker switch before wiring to the wall switch.