Heatilator Pilot Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bladeburner

Nov 16, 2016
North Texas
I just bought a home with a Heatilator GCDC80. It has the standing flame pilot. I can get the pilot to light, but it doesn't stay lit. The owners manual says the pilot flame should cover half of the thermocouple and the thermopile, but the flame doesn't come close to either.

Any help is appreciated.

You probably need a new thermocouple (TC), but there are a couple of things to check.
Have you tried to turn the pilot adjustment screw to increase the pilot flame?
Is the pilot tube obstructed?
Have you taken a millivolt reading on the TC while the pilot flame is lit?
If you have tried the above, can you post a pic of what the pilot looks like while you're holding the knob in?

IMG_0511.JPG
I'll look for the pilot adjustment screw, and try that.

I blew out the pilot tube, so hopefully it's clear.

Where would I check the TC voltage?

The pilot will stay on a minute or so. Then I hear a 'click' and it shuts off without the burner starting.

I'll add a photo of the pilot.

Pilot doesn't look right. Has this been converted from NG to LP? What fuel are you burning?
The pilot hood may also be distorted causing the flame to appear as it does. The flames should
almost look like they are shooting out towards the TC & the Thermopile (TP).
They should also be bluish in color. Did you see if there was a pilot orifice below the assembly?
It would be on the end of the pilot tube & should drop out when the tube is removed from the assembly.
In order to get a mV reading on the TC, you will have to disconnect it from the gas valve.
You will need a multimeter set to volts DC. Place one probe on the extreme end
that was in the valve. The other probe on the copper OD. Should be 28mV +.

It runs on propane. Not sure if it was converted from NG. I doubt it.

I'll check the voltage tomorrow, and completely remove the pilot tube.

Thanks so much for the help.

DAKSY,

I've got the pilot tube removed, and I see a small orifice at the end of the gas tube. There is also an orifice of some kind inside the pilot tube. The one in the tube doesn't seem to come out. Is that correct?

I'll check the voltages when I get it back together.

The orifice up inside the pilot assembly SHOULD be removable.
Can you post a close up pic of the pilot hood WITHOUT the pilot on?

Cool. The pilot hood looks ok.
The orifice should come out of there.
If & when you get it out, see if the is a marking on it, near the orifice hole.
I'm thinkin you have an NG orifice in there.

Contact your local Heat n Glo dealer.
He can get the pilot assembly, or he may have it in stock.
Give him the serial number from the bottom of the valve cavity.
Get a new LP orifice while you're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.