Heatilator wood Burning Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kinetic82

Sep 21, 2019
St. Charles, Mo
Hi There!

So yesterday had our older late 70’s wood burning fireplace cleaned (bought house a year ago).

Fireplace Model
Heatilator D746613

The was a rather large amount of soot that came down while cleaning the flue before even sending a camera up to check he kept recommending buying a gas insert 5K+ which we want real wood burning fireplace not gas. Not the same.

All the flue connections are tight 8” double wall .The 18” flue at the very top he said there has 3rd degree creosote and fireplace can’t be used anymore because they don’t make that flue pipe anymore.

Said only option would be to install gas insert or spend thousands fixing/replacing entire flue which he seemed like he didn’t want to to do st all.

We’re at a loss have another company coming out for second inspection. Pictures below will provided addition information. Also located in St. Louis area if anyone recommends anyone.

Sincerely,
Jaime
288F17CE-2D2F-484B-8F23-9D861487A71C.jpegB92760FD-D24B-4917-9259-79FB2792855A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So are they saying the only problem with it is the creosote buildup?

Thank you very much for there reply Much appreciated!!!

Yes that was his concerns said since it was 3rd creosote build in highest flue pipe, which could/would cause chimney fire...since we’ve never owned a fire place (my gut feeling) I think he was trying to scare us into buying an insert 5K+kept talking about how much better it would be. Also did mentione the rain cap had creosote build up I’ll replace that no problem.

Attachments

• 2CA9D8AE-D69A-4F91-9B5F-54D9A65F07BC.jpeg
    2CA9D8AE-D69A-4F91-9B5F-54D9A65F07BC.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 239
Thank you very much for there reply Much appreciated!!!

Yes that was his concerns said since it was 3rd creosote build in highest flue pipe, which could/would cause chimney fire...since we’ve never owned a fire place (my gut feeling) I think he was trying to scare us into buying an insert 5K+kept talking about how much better it would be. Also did mentione the rain cap had creosote build up I’ll replace that no problem.
Why didn't he just clean it properly? Creosote buildup is no reason to deem a system unusable and it would need to be removed in order to install any insert regardless.

In addition most fireplaces like yours don't allow inserts to be installed regardless.

He said since it’s 3rd degree creosote it
couldn’t be cleaned? and they would have to do a chemical clean like (PCR) and that may or may not work, then said they don’t make that flue pipe anymore so if it didn’t work we would be SOL basically...but he cleaned the rest of the the of flue and fire box. Frustrating to say the least.

He said since it’s 3rd degree creosote it
couldn’t be cleaned? and they would have to do a chemical clean like (PCR) and that may or may not work, then said they don’t make that flue pipe anymore so if it didn’t work we would be SOL basically...but he cleaned the rest of the the of flue and fire box. Frustrating to say the least.
Just because he couldn't clean it doesn't mean it needs replaced. It just means he isn't very good at his job. Honestly the creosote in the pictures doesn't even look that bad. I would have cleaned it with a rotary cleaner to get most of it out and told you to burn drier wood and use some creosote remover so we could remove the last bit remaining next year.

Now I wasn't there there may be other issues I am not seeing but from what I see in his report it isn't that bad

Thank you very much for the response much appreciated! Was kinda thinking the same thing.

Going to have one other company come out for inspection and peace of mind.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Reactions: bholler
bholler does this stuff daily. I agree, it doesn't look that bad. I would use some ACS spray to make the remaining glaze easier to remove.

Sounds like someone wanted to sell you a gas insert. Does this individual happen to install gas inserts?

FWIW Heatilator is no more. If you just want an ambience burner it will do that. Many many miles north of you it made perfect sense for me to remove a heatlilator unit to put in a modern chimney and an efficient wood stove. But you live many may miles south of me.

When the Heatilator goes to the big ash can in the sky you will most likely find all the framing of your house, joists and rafters and etcetera are all lined up for the heatilator (and its rpelacement) to be a straight up and down shot, so you got that going for you someday.

Hi Poindexter!

Appreciate the reply very much and yes he does install gas inserts told more where to go look at them “Kozy Heat Inserts” and who to talk to...we just want a simple wood burning fireplace to burn 2-3 smaller logs for time being until we can afford to have a wood stove installed....a gas insert just isn’t for us. Thanks again for the reply!

Hi here just an update on fire place cleaning appreciate all the advice and help offered here!

Had another company come and clean the fireplace couple weeks ago they did a great job stayed longer and did a very thorough job...the amount of soot that came down was evident that it was not cleaned probably...he said this wasn’t the first time he has come in after the first company to fix their mistakes...after he finished cleaning he ran camera through it and and there was no 3rd degree creosote...just said the guy was lazy...I sent that info to other company and was issued a refund immediately.

All the other company wanted to do was sell me a gas insert for 5K+.

Burning wood now happy as can be!!!

Thanks again for all the help here on this forum very much appreciated!

Hi here just an update on fire place cleaning appreciate all the advice and help offered here!

Had another company come and clean the fireplace couple weeks ago they did a great job stayed longer and did a very thorough job...the amount of soot that came down was evident that it was not cleaned probably...he said this wasn’t the first time he has come in after the first company to fix their mistakes...after he finished cleaning he ran camera through it and and there was no 3rd degree creosote...just said the guy was lazy...I sent that info to other company and was issued a refund immediately.

All the other company wanted to do was sell me a gas insert for 5K+.

Burning wood now happy as can be!!!

Thanks again for all the help here on this forum very much appreciated!
I am glad it worked out. I thought the other company sounded shady

Excellent! Love a happy ending.

Sounds like someone wanted to sell you a gas insert. Does this individual happen to install gas inserts?

FWIW Heatilator is no more. If you just want an ambience burner it will do that. Many many miles north of you it made perfect sense for me to remove a heatlilator unit to put in a modern chimney and an efficient wood stove. But you live many may miles south of me.

When the Heatilator goes to the big ash can in the sky you will most likely find all the framing of your house, joists and rafters and etcetera are all lined up for the heatilator (and its rpelacement) to be a straight up and down shot, so you got that going for you someday.
Actually, Heatilator is alive and well.