Heatilator WS22 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TomMcDonald

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2022
Australia
Hi forum.

Just want to say thanks for all the advice on the new stove. Ended up going with the Heatilator ws22.
Seems like a solid unit and should do well for us here.
It's installed with single wall pipe with a rear shield so clearance is only 4" to the wall.
Will report back once the weather gets cold enough to start er up.
Hearth will be finished once the new flooring goes in soon.

20230316_192945.jpg

The stovepipe shield needs to go all the way up to the support box. The stovepipe is very hot up there.

In the US the clearance for shielded single-wall stove pipe is 6". What is the rear clearance for the stove with this install? The rear clearance for the WS22 is 7" with double-wall stove pipe.

The stovepipe shield needs to go all the way up to the support box. The stovepipe is very hot up there.

In the US the clearance for shielded single-wall stove pipe is 6". What is the rear clearance for the stove with this install? The rear clearance for the WS22 is 7" with double-wall stove pipe.
The shield is only designed to cover the first length of flue. I've never seen a full length shield over here.
It's also a double shield with an air gap between both shields.

The manual stipulates 4" but mine is 5" from the wall.

Maybe clearances over here are more liberal?

25mm is 1".

Screenshot_20230317_034611_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20230317_034723_Drive.jpg

The pipe must be shielded all the way up. Otherwise, the top portion of the single-wall pipe needs to be 18" from the wall. Is the 18" rule for single-wall not followed down under?

Interestingly, the US manual lists 7" for a double-wall stove pipe and 8.75" for single-wall, straight-up pipe.
However, looking at the Quadrafire 4300 step-top, I see the rear clearance listed is 3.75" for double-wall stove pipe or 4" if there is a 90º elbow above. This is one of the closest clearance stoves on the market.

It's also a double shield with an air gap between both shields.
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you may have bought a pair of shields. If so, one is supposed to go above the other, not layered on top of each other.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you may have bought a pair of shields. If so, one is supposed to go above the other, not layered on top of each other.
I'm absolutely certain it's installed correctly

20230317_073303.jpg

The pipe must be shielded all the way up. Otherwise, the top portion of the single-wall pipe needs to be 18" from the wall. Is the 18" rule for single-wall not followed down under?

Interestingly, the US manual lists 7" for a double-wall stove pipe and 8.75" for single-wall, straight-up pipe.
However, looking at the Quadrafire 4300 step-top, I see the rear clearance listed is 3.75" for double-wall stove pipe or 4" if there is a 90º elbow above. This is one of the closest clearance stoves on the market.
I don't think any generic clearances exist here.

It has been compliance tested by an independent laboratory in this configuration, installed according to that configuration and the manufacturer's directions and inspected and passed by a building certifier.
I'm not sure sure how an unsafe installation would be recommended by all of the parties involved.

It has been compliance tested by an independent laboratory in this configuration, installed according to that configuration and the manufacturer's directions and inspected and passed by a building certifier.
I'm not sure sure how an unsafe installation would be recommended by all of the parties involved.
Ok not sure how combustibility can be so drastically different in Australia than here. But it's your house. If your comfortable with it so be it.

Ok not sure how combustibility can be so drastically different in Australia than here. But it's your house. If your comfortable with it so be it.
It's obviously not that stuff is miraculously less combustible here but that our regulations and criteria for clearances are different to yours. Cheers.