heating 2K+ sq ft home with pellets...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky

Nov 4, 2010
Buffalo, NY
i just bought a rather large ranch home.... has full basenment a fireplace in living room, and basement...

ill be doing some insulation stuff this spring/summer...

i dont want another wood stove...

thats going in my new shop/polebarn

im thinking of puttibng the pellet in the living room connected to the fireplace, but for aesthetics maybe the basement? the house has a large oil furnace, forced air, last winter the older folks spent 6K on heat...

now granted they had the heat set at 75F but im thinking pellet to supplement the oil would be the way to go, and use the existing wood burning chimney as the exhaust. if i go in the basement i could tap into the ductwork cause the furnace is right next to the fireplace...

so i need a starting point and suggestions as well as advice on tonnage for pellets ect...

Tighten that home up. Fastest payback on $$$ invested. Get a energy audit done, often is cost supplemented by power companies. Get the area in the attic up to at least r48 with insulation. Foam can now be injected into walls.
Give us some idea of your layout via drawing we can hash something out. -11 here now and going down

inm still new to all of this, i insulated my aTTIC between the rafters.... in my current house, got expensive fast...

gonna talk with buyers and discuss plans for house... as a contractor, their cheapest alternative is a complete tear down to grade.

if thats the case ill pill out whaT i can sorry adjusting to laptop key board cant run desktop cause it blows fuses due to space heaters as my boiler pooped the bed, and its 60+ yrs old...

the attic is insulated at floor level, but not roof level... i know thats a prob, ill be working on...

house was built in 74 to 1974 standards... so ill be insulating over the next few years... the shop is my primary concern for insulatyion... i am moving tens of thousands worth of equipment from obne heated shop into another... but pellet seems a good way to supplement heats

Right now with oil prices down and dropping and pellets mostly holding above oil in terms of dollar per BTU I can't agree with you that pellets are any kind of answer to your problem. . Get insulated either way, then upgrade you furnace/boiler ( which ever it is) to a new high efficiency one. Oil is low now, take advantage of it, you can add alternative heat later. Oil wasn't low last year when the old folks were doing the heating at 6k but it is now. That's just common folk reasoning though lol !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.