Heating a silo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 12, 2016
Newland, NC
I have finished my barn to house (moved in November 2017) and now have a silo to work on as a - well, I do not know what to call it. I guess observatory since I am putting a big telescope on top floor.

Anyway the silo is 10 feet in diameter and a little over 30 high at side wall. So it will have three floors that are approximately 77 square feet. No electricity so no blower - though not needed in this space.

Any suggestions on a cheap model for occasional use.

No insulation too? That's a volume of 2356 cu ft, or about the same as a 300 sq ft cabin. A small stove will suffice. The Englander 17VL would be a good choice. You'll want a draft damper on the stove pipe with a 30+' high stack. How were you planning on venting. Up through the silo or exterior chimney? Either way plan on the chimney costing more than the stove.

I'm curious about the observatory and temperature fluctuations. As the silo warmed up, would a change from say 40º to 70º affect the optics?

It will have an additional approximately r7 insulation as I am going to frame interior, spray foam insulation about 1 inch between framing then board the interior of silo.

Planning to go out the silo wall with pipe.

The smoke pipe sticking out the side isn't going to look funny or will it get boxed in?

I'd be thinking about electric cable RFH in the floors. It works well as we have one in a master bathroom. Getting the electric in the space should be easy. No?

I would think the smoke might get sucked back in with the top opened to use the telescope.
It shouldnt but opening the top while the stove is burning could create a strong vacume at the bottom near the stove causing a back draft

The telescope is actually going to be mounted (Planned) on a floor on top of the silo accessible by trap door. Almost like a lighthouse/gazebo on top.

Still working on logistics.
It sounds like a great space. But i would run power to it for sure

I would think the smoke might get sucked back in with the top opened to use the telescope.
Yes, this does present some issues with logistics and operation. A pellet stove venting out the side might be more practical.

I just realized you may have been saying it would get sucked in through the stove not through the top sorry

30’ of exterior class A is going to be spendy. I know you are suppose to heat with the stove and not the pipe but would the OP benefit from radiant heat from an interior stove pipe? Especially seeing how he is going to have 3 floors?

30’ of exterior class A is going to be spendy. I know you are suppose to heat with the stove and not the pipe but would the OP benefit from radiant heat from an interior stove pipe? Especially seeing how he is going to have 3 floors?
It would still need to be class A after the first floor ceiling. Not sure how easy it would be to flash on the silo roof. A pellet stove sounds more practical, especially for occasional use.

No it wouldnt it would lose way too much heat and not meet code

Last edited by a moderator:
Concrete stave or steel silo? Aluminum dome roof? Pics would be interesting to see.

The smoke pipe sticking out the side isn't going to look funny or will it get boxed in?
Look, kids, it's a missile silo! ;lol