Heating cost...wood vs oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this topic has been posted and discussed extensively. Anyone have that link readily?

I am able to stay at home/work at home so....

I almost exclusively heat my home with wood during the Northeast winters. As far as I can recall, I typically call for 2 deliveries and a 3rd will take me through the spring and summer (oil deliveries). At that time, I heated my domestic water with the oil burner. Now I've installed an electric hot water heater. So the oil burner's only job is to heat the house.

Anyone have this comparison, for their own particular situation?

Right now, my stove is cruising along at 700 degrees. Very cozy. Heating the entire house. 76 degrees at the most distant location from the stove.

Do you pay for wood or is it all free.......

+1, it comes downt o how much you pay for oil versus how much you pay for wood ona BTU for BTU basis, and then you can figure out how much time you spend on wood and derive how much you are getting "paid" for the hassle of running the stove.

I pay $3.84 for a gallon of #2 oil, green logs are $162.00 / cord delivered to my driveway. BTU for BTU it ends up that I save about $400 off my oil bill for every cord of wood I burn ~after bucking and splitting and seasoning.

FWIW I heat both DHW and the house with oil and run the stove just to put cheaper BTUs in the house and lower the oil bill. Turning off the furnace and trying to run on wood alone would be a big big step for me.

i've got 3100 sq ft in cold upstate ny. i would burn at least 1200 gallons of fuel at what was 3.7 per gallon. i'm not poor but i wont spend $5000 per year for heat. with a esw 30 i pay less than $1000 for wood and use about 100 gallons of oil for when it's 25 below or when the kids get up in the mornings for a quick blast. plus the house is generally more comfortable at 72 all day than when you're watching the thermostat. not a lifestyle for some of the local princesses, though

I'm sure this topic has been posted and discussed extensively. Anyone have that link readily?

I am able to stay at home/work at home so....

I almost exclusively heat my home with wood during the Northeast winters. As far as I can recall, I typically call for 2 deliveries and a 3rd will take me through the spring and summer (oil deliveries). At that time, I heated my domestic water with the oil burner. Now I've installed an electric hot water heater. So the oil burner's only job is to heat the house.

Anyone have this comparison, for their own particular situation?

Right now, my stove is cruising along at 700 degrees. Very cozy. Heating the entire house. 76 degrees at the most distant location from the stove.

Have a similar setup here near Albany and burn about 1 gal/day for HW.

How is the Electric HW heater working out for you?

Have a similar setup here near Albany and burn about 1 gal/day for HW.

How is the Electric HW heater working out for you?

you really burn a gallon a day for water? that's a hundred bucks a month. my nimo bill is only 100 a month including hot water that is way too hot and showers way too long for 5 people

I have an electric hot water heater and my electric bill runs $60 to $75 a month. I don't pay for wood and the house stays nice and warm. Before using the woodstove my house was cold and the electric bill was over $200/month.

Status
Not open for further replies.