heating elements in your wood furnace plenum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Monaco

Burning Hunk
Sep 13, 2015
Indiana
Hello - I'm looking for a simple way to set up a but of add-on heating for the rare times when we want to leave the house and aren't there to keep the fire going in the furnace. Has anyone ever tied in a heat pump or heating elements to their wood furnace air handler?

Last edited:
You don't have any other source of heat? You mentioned heat pump - do you have one? If I read right, I don't think adding heating elements to something that didn't have them already is a good idea. Insurance companies would have a field day with that one, I suspect.

For rare occasional use buy a few electric space heaters.

Hmm, usually insurance companies also kick up a fuss if you don't have something other than wood as a primary heat source.

I would consider just adding in a few electric baseboard heaters. They aren't cheap to run, but should serve a backup purpose while being rather cheap & easy to install at the same time as keeping an insurance company happy.

We don't really like the idea of space heaters, looking for something to keep the house at 50 degrees in the winter occasionally when we're gone
This would require a proper plenum, control circuits, fan relay tie-in, safety switch and thermostat. It might be easier to install an electric furnace.

I second the baseboard idea. I am sure you could add a second heat source to your ducts but it will be expensive. And for use only a couple times a year i wouldnt think it would be worth it.

Im an electrical contractor, and as said the simplest most economical way to achieve what your going for is with baseboard heaters. they make some very good units that are oil filled. The thermostats can be mounted on the units which saves fishing wire up the wall.

Reactions: brenndatomu
As others have said, I would install a few baseboard heaters on the 1st floor. The units are pretty cheap to buy and easy to install.

Reactions: Monaco
If you have the room it would be more economical to run a heat pump versus any kind of strip heating. A good HVAC contractor can tie an air handler into your existing ducting of the wood furnace, provided you have the room. When the temps are below freezing it will switch to aux heat strips in the air handler. Not the simple solution but cheaper in the long run. Not sure how your ducting is set up.It would need to be of sufficient cfm for the air handler.

Reactions: Monaco