Heating Season must be mostly over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I see the local heating oil and propane suppliers topping off tanks while its cold before a predicted spring warmup ;)

Used to be pretty predictable, the fuel companies do not want inventory hanging around at the end of the heating season or when the price is dropping so they send the drivers out to fill up all their autofill customers. If I see then out on a weekend the price inevitably drops a few days later. US production is back up and Iran is pumping hard into China so crude oil prices are heading lower.

I am glad I out of that game. I put in 200 gallons of heating oil this summer when it was cheap after going 6 years without buying any. I have two 275 gallon tanks and one of these days I will pull both and put in a double contained plastic tank that hold 200 gallons and takes up a lot less room.

Is it just auto fill customers or anybody? Could also be people topping off their tanks, planning for heating fuel to go up along with the gas that going up.

Hard to say here, no telling if we will get another cold blast or if winter will switch on for another month. So I think suppliers like to remain prepared.

I filled up last summer and still got like 60 some percent left, so unless I see an exceptional deal I can skip this summer.

I checked on pellets last week just for giggles. Well for starters most of the pallets have shredded plastic so I don’t buy now anyway. Wait for a fresh dry supply in the summer.

Last summer I paid $235 a ton, they’re like $280 now. But again this tends to happen so they can be prepared if winter keeps hanging on. If it does then they will ration pellets. This is why I stock up in August when supply is high and prices are down. And get at least a ton more than I could possibly need.