Heating with wood pollutes more than any other heating method

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
developing renewable alternatives is good for everyone
Yup, and as I've said here before, I don't have a problem with it (as long as it makes sense in the big picture) just don't force it down our throats, especially when the technology is not mature, or even close. And anyone that doesn't see how this stuff is being forced on us (and their pockets lined in the process) needs to come up for a breath of fresh air.

I still think a questionnaire should be out there, for a person's carbon footprint. I mow and hand rake my yard. I do not use a mowing service, does that offset my footprint? I have neighbors that go to a gym, but don't push mow their lawn. What is the smart choice? It goes a lot further than a heating device

Yup, and as I've said here before, I don't have a problem with it (as long as it makes sense in the big picture) just don't force it down our throats, especially when the technology is not mature, or even close. And anyone that doesn't see how this stuff is being forced on us (and their pockets lined in the process) needs to come up for a breath of fresh air.
I don't see anything at all being forced upon me at all

Reactions: JRP3
I don't see anything at all being forced upon me at all
All the games being played in DC that have oil/gas prices way up...DC pushing the manufactures to stop making ICE vehicles...?
Maybe not directly, but making it increasingly hard to continue down the same path, and then greasing the wheels, so to speak, for the path of EV's (for example)

All the games being played in DC that have oil/gas prices way up...DC pushing the manufactures to stop making ICE vehicles...?
Maybe not directly, but making it increasingly hard to continue down the same path, and then greasing the wheels, so to speak, for the path of EV's (for example)
Oil/gas prices are up world wide. Our prices are still cheaper than many other countries. Not sure how that can be blamed on DC. Oil and gas is a worl market because of that the pricing changes globally.

There is always someone getting their pockets lined….with everything, you’re right. The same most certainly should also be said about the fossil fuel industry.

Reactions: gthomas785
It isn't science, but, "climate change" is a religion. The believers believe regardless of facts. Their minds are all made up.
14,000 years ago the glaciers on Manhattan were 3,000 feet thick.
What caused the global warming that caused the glaciers to melt?

It isn't science, but, "climate change" is a religion. The believers believe regardless of facts. Their minds are all made up.
But there is lots of science supporting the theory. I will agree it isn't proven completely by any means. But there is a whole lot more science supporting human influence on climate change than refuting it. Just because the climate changes naturally on its own doesn't mean humans can't have an effect.

But regardless of climate change it's clear that burning fossil fuels hurts air quality. Yes most appliances vehicles etc have gotten much cleaner but it still hurts air quality. It's also clear that our current dependence on fossil fuels isn't sustainable. So why not work now to change that instead of waiting until things get worse?

Reactions: Split
It's all science, not religion. Just because you can't even be bothered to investigate doesn't mean there are no answers.

These ice ages are triggered and ended by slow changes in the Earth’s orbit. But changing atmospheric concentrations of CO2 also plays a key role in driving both cooling during the onset of ice ages and warming at their end. The global average temperature was around 4C cooler during the last ice age than it is today. There is a real risk that, if emissions continue to rise, the world warms more this century than it did between the middle of the last ice age 20,000 years ago and today.

The most important thing to realize is that rate of change matters. A slow warming of earth from a shift in orbit allows time for plants and animals to adapt. A fast change doesn't and often leads to extinction events. We're creating a fast change and we don't really know how it will play out. It's a dangerous experiment on the atmosphere which sustains us.

Government always subsidizes new technology, it's a smart investment to keep progressing. Oil and gas exploration and refining were subsidized, as was fracking. EV's are far more efficient and the obvious future of transportation, the faster we transition the better.

Government always subsidizes new technology, it's a smart investment to keep progressing. Oil and gas exploration and refining were subsidized, as was fracking. EV's are far more efficient and the obvious future of transportation, the faster we transition the better.
Oil and gas exploration are still heavily subsidized despite the massive profits oil and gas companies make.

Oil/gas prices are up world wide. Our prices are still cheaper than many other countries. Not sure how that can be blamed on DC. Oil and gas is a worl market because of that the pricing changes globally.
I hear ya, I'm sure the whole world market thing does affect prices,..and yes, we historically have had cheaper prices than many places, (still do I'm sure) but when you have an administration that has openly declared war on oil, and then prices start going up almost literally to the day said administration takes office...pretty hard to call it pure coincidence IMO.

I hear ya, I'm sure the whole world market thing does affect prices,..and yes, we historically have had cheaper prices than many places, (still do I'm sure) but when you have an administration that has openly declared war on oil, and then prices start going up almost literally to the day said administration takes office...pretty hard to call it pure coincidence IMO.
But how did that administration make prices spike at the same time at a similar rate across the world?

Btw pushing for the development of alternative energy is not at all the same as declaring war on oil. It's about looking out for the future of the country.

Reactions: gthomas785 and JRP3
Btw pushing for the development of alternative energy is not at all the same as declaring war on oil. It's about looking out for the future of the country.
And pushing everyone to buy an EV when we don't even have the electrical infrastructure to support it yet is looking out for the country?
Begging OPEC for more oil, meanwhile you put your heel on the oil industry here is looking out for the country?
What about the world? Why is it better that the Saudis pump oil out of the ground, instead of us? I bet we do it in a more environmentally safe manner than anybody! If we are really so concerned about ole mother earth...
More so on the tread topic, here is an interesting video, if you'll watch it. I had a different interview of him in mind, (with more data/facts stated) but it seems to have been "disappeared" (imagine that :rolleyes: )

My only concern about solar is what happens in 15 to 20 years when it's time to replace all the panels going up over the last 10 years. As of now there isn't an efficient way to recycle them so a lot of them will end up in landfills. Id argue that's still better than burning fossil fuels, that's my unfounded opinion, but I'd wager someone smart will come up with a recycling solution. Whomever comes up with that technology will be beyond rich. When there's money to be made people act.

And pushing everyone to buy an EV when we don't even have the electrical infrastructure to support it yet is looking out for the country?
Pushing for development isn't pushing everyone to buy them. People will only buy them if they make sense for their situation.

Begging OPEC for more oil, meanwhile you put your heel on the oil industry here is looking out for the country?
What about the world? Why is it better that the Saudis pump oil out of the ground, instead of us? I bet we do it in a more environmentally safe manner than anybody! If we are really so concerned about ole mother earth...
More so on the tread topic, here is an interesting video, if you'll watch it. I had a different interview of him in mind, (with more data/facts stated) but it seems to have been "disappeared" (imagine that :rolleyes: )
We still produce more oil than we use so I really don't understand that argument quite honestly. But that oil is still priced according to the world market. I will watch the video a bit later still working here

Everyone is not being pushed to buy an EV. EV production is still growing and demand far outstrips supply. The electrical infrastructure is in place, it's called the grid, and there is plenty of excess capacity overnight, when most people charge, at reduced pricing. I set my car to charge starting at 11PM when it's cheaper and there is less load on the grid. As the EV fleet grows more fast chargers will be built to support roadtrips and those who can't plug in at home. There was a time before electric ranges and ai rconditioning, as demand for those grew the grid grew as well.

What "heel" is being put on the oil industry? They still have tons of drill site leases sitting unused and our production is near all time highs.

What about the world? Why is it better that the Saudis pump oil out of the ground, instead of us? I bet we do it in a more environmentally safe manner than anybody!
We don't, we need to use fracking, Saudis still have access to easy oil without fracking.

More so on the tread topic, here is an interesting video, if you'll watch it.
He's not a climate scientist, he's a businessman with an agenda. Again, if you can't disprove the basic physics of green house gas molecules you don't have an argument.

My only concern about solar is what happens in 15 to 20 years when it's time to replace all the panels going up over the last 10 years. As of now there isn't an efficient way to recycle them so a lot of them will end up in landfills. Id argue that's still better than burning fossil fuels, that's my unfounded opinion, but I'd wager someone smart will come up with a recycling solution.
First off panels usually don't just die, they slowly drop efficiency over time but still produce power. Warranties are for 25-30 years but the panels don't just stop working, they'll continue to work for another 10+ years. They are also mostly glass and aluminum and can be recycled https://werecyclesolar.com/

Ok I took a few mins and read the article. It contains no data and he makes claims that simply are not true. So I am not sure what it was supposed to show.

Oh brother...I dunno why I even comment in these threads...there are many here who are much better debaters than me, and in my mind, there is a lot that is still up for debate! Bottom line, I am just not a believer in man made global warming, many here are. (anyone else see the irony of "tree huggers" being on a wood heat site?) Whatever we humans do or don't do for our energy needs is a gnat fart in a hurricane compared to what volcanoes and forest fires do to our climate...but apparently nobody has figured out how to make a buck, control the masses, or win an election off those problems yet.
Does the climate change? Yes. It gets warmer for a bit, then cooler for a bit. And has been that way since the beginning...and I'm sure all along the way some current day chicken little has been claiming the sky is falling...and yet, here we still are...only now chicken little has figured out how to get paid for all his doom n gloom...just follow the money/power!
Oh, and no I'm not sticking up for big oil...plenty of crooked deals made there too.
Ok I took a few mins and read the article. It contains no data and he makes claims that simply are not true. So I am not sure what it was supposed to show.
Yeah like I said that is not the vid I wanted...the other one had data...but it apparently went POOF...maybe it spontaneously combusted in the intense 2022 sun! ;lol

Reactions: boomfire
there are many here who are much better debaters than me
Yes because we've done the research and can back up our positions with sources and facts. I've been hearing arguments like yours for over 15 years now, always fact free and always unwilling to really look into the science. You're like the people in the early 1900's saying cars would never replace horses. Some people are afraid of change.

Reactions: gthomas785
Whatever we humans do or don't do for our energy needs is a gnat fart in a hurricane compared to what volcanoes and forest fires do to our climate.
Certainly a large volcanic eruption could devastate our environment, but that's irrelevant. It's like saying a car accident could end your life so don't service your brakes or wear a seat belt. The idea is to reduce possible bad outcomes where we can.

Oh brother...I dunno why I even comment in these threads...there are many here who are much better debaters than me, and in my mind, there is a lot that is still up for debate! Bottom line, I am just not a believer in man made global warming, many here are. (anyone else see the irony of "tree huggers" being on a wood heat site?) Whatever we humans do or don't do for our energy needs is a gnat fart in a hurricane compared to what volcanoes and forest fires do to our climate...but apparently nobody has figured out how to make a buck, control the masses, or win an election off those problems yet.
Does the climate change? Yes. It gets warmer for a bit, then cooler for a bit. And has been that way since the beginning...and I'm sure all along the way some current day chicken little has been claiming the sky is falling...and yet, here we still are...only now chicken little has figured out how to get paid for all his doom n gloom...just follow the money/power!
Oh, and no I'm not sticking up for big oil...plenty of crooked deals made there too.

Yeah like I said that is not the vid I wanted...the other one had data...but it apparently went POOF...maybe it spontaneously combusted in the intense 2022 sun! ;lol
If you choose not to believe in manmade climate change that's entirely up to you. But claiming that there is not science to support it just isn't accurate. After all the debating on this subject I have been involved with I have yet to see anyone produce actual scientific evidence refuting it. Just opinions and pointing out that the climate has always changed.