Heavy load of locust in the BK last night.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
A couple of the rounds were 10 inches this thing sure cruises with good dry wood. locust load.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lsucet and tarzan
A couple of the rounds were 10 inches this thing sure cruises with good dry wood.View attachment 194010
That's a full load gives you an idea of the split size.Sixteen hours later check it out.House still at 71 with outside temps of 14 to 21.Combustor still active,flu temps as shown.Plenty of hot coals for reload.flu temp.jpg coal bed.jpg combustor temp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome.

Nice long burn! Last night I threw in a a big split of locust on top of oak. Whenever I do that the stove always runs between 100-150 deg hotter than it would with a similarly sized pc of oak. My tube stove can't slow down the burn as well as you can so I just crank up the fan. That was fine since I needed the heat anyway.

Reactions: woodfreak666
Nothing better than Locust IMO! The heat thrown out from a box full of Locust coals reminds me of coal.

We have blue flames in the T6 too. Love burning locust. This stuff has had 4 yrs in the shed. Lights real easy.

So when y'all say locust are you talking black locust(acacia)? Or honey locust? Both, neither, Orrrr?

Just curious. Locust up here is a residential tree. It doesn't grow in the woods.

The variety of black locust I have is robinia pseudoacacia rectissima aka shipmast. Heavy, straight, hard and rot resistant.

Cool. I hate to admit that in my residential treework days I sent more than one black locust to the landfill, having no idea it was a fantastic burning wood. True hardwoods are traditionally never burned here and I never learned until more recent years of the differing and favourable qualities of most.

Black locust is what we have growing locally. The wood I am burning now came from the highway crews clearing some aged trees. I asked the property owner if he minded me taking it and although he was a wood burner he said "Go ahead, don't burn for chit." I humbly agreed and then hauled off several truckloads.

Nice long burn! Last night I threw in a a big split of locust on top of oak. Whenever I do that the stove always runs between 100-150 deg hotter than it would with a similarly sized pc of oak. My tube stove can't slow down the burn as well as you can so I just crank up the fan. That was fine since I needed the heat anyway.
Wasn't really trying for a long burn every 10 to 12 hrs works fine for me,sometimes Iet her go just for fun. Still have 5 cords locust on hand ,and 5 acres across the street if I run low.

Wasn't really trying for a long burn every 10 to 12 hrs works fine for me,sometimes Iet her go just for fun. Still have 5 cords locust on hand ,and 5 acres across the street if I run low.
One word.... Jealous

Reactions: Woody Stover
stove always runs between 100-150 deg hotter than it would with a similarly sized pc of oak.
The heat thrown out from a box full of Locust coals reminds me of coal.
Yep, burns hot and coals hot. _g Couple nights in the teens are on tap so I brought up a little BL last night. This AM I still had quite a bit of coals in my little stove but I threw in two decent splits and one smaller one. A couple few hrs. ago I opened up the air on the coals. Still got 300+ STT and I'm almost to 10 hrs.
I asked the property owner if he minded me taking it and although he was a wood burner he said "Go ahead, don't burn for chit." I humbly agreed and then hauled off several truckloads.
Yep...beggars can't be choosers. ;lol Don't burn fer chit if it's wet. Get it dry, and stand back! _g It is a little slow to get going compared to 'normal' wood...

It is a little slow to get going compared to 'normal' wood...

Spent my first year burning nothing but locust and it was a little frustrating. Could've been a bit dryer but getting it going froma a cold start was a PITA. Now I mostly add it to a hot stove/coal bed.

Here in NJ we have lots of oak and black locust. I've found that they both last a long time but the oak throws a little more heat. Oak leaves a little more coals for reloads as well.

The locust seasons a year earlier so that's nice but getting a locust splinter really sucks. They are both very heavy but I found that oak generally splits a lot better.

That being said I like both oak and locust and I'm glad to have both in my stacks. Oak however is the only thing I stack all by itself.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Any of you BK guys ever do a load of 100% hedge? Wonder if that would even extend the burn longer.

All I see in my area is Oak, Maple, Birch, and Ash. I doubt I've ever seen Locust here.

All I see in my area is Oak, Maple, Birch, and Ash. I doubt I've ever seen Locust here.
It's around. It seems to grow in stands together. Never one random one standing alone. They like to run in packs like wolves.

Reactions: Woody Stover
It likes Sandy soil, there's a ton in the Connecticut Valley, grows like weeds there. Too bad I live an hour from the valley.

It likes Sandy soil, there's a ton in the Connecticut Valley, grows like weeds there. Too bad I live an hour from the valley.

Really? In my in the Valley I can't find any that is in any of my friends or families properties. Outside the valley I see mostly Oak and Ash. Ash being the most common. It could be that I'm mis-identifying the Locust. I'll take a look at some pictures and see if I'm clearly missing something.