stmar Posted By stmar, Apr 19, 2018 at 10:42 AM

1. stmar

stmar
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Wyo
    Hearing a new noise coming from our furnace.. It sounds like a helicopter, low whine/buzz/vibration coming through the duct work. I turned on just the summer fan and no unusual noise so am I on the right track thinking it may be the combustion/inducer fan? I have not looked at it yet, need some help and it is in an awkward place, the attic, but wanted to get a feel about what I should be looking for/at.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    exhaust blower? pia to get at . various things get in the exhaust line to cause noise and problems. if not getting ignition- something blocking air stream to sail switch just after that blower. one year squirrels decided the exhaust line was the perfect storage solution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stmar

stmar
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Wyo
    It is igniting and running, just the noise. Not a screech, more like a vibration.

4. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    bad or loose mount , dirt build up on blades = out of balance, still possible -bearing

5. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    make sure that there is no condensate building up in it. how old is it? if the furnace is not mounted to the book and not leveled the condensate might not drain right and rot a hole in the heat exchanger. it make a bunch of different noises then

6. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Sheesh, 4 replies and not one person suggests looking for a helicopter in there.

Occam`s razor and all that.

7. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    Massachusetts

8. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    That was mentioned when back in the beginning of thread.