Hello all! Vermont Vigilant that’s the heart of our house!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Speddie3

Jan 17, 2022
Far far Southwest Chicago
Yes I know, new guy with a old stove. That said I’m not new to the lifestyle, my father had a ”home made” stove that was my job growing up to run effectively. A few Uncles had stoves and I took up the family tradition. I’ve been running a Vermont Vigilant for years now in my own house, and couldn’t be happier/prouder. I’ve also made 2 neighbors convert to the beauty of self earned local wood heat. That said, I’m no idiot and am quite handy, but also recognize certain limits.
Knowing that I run a older Vigilant, and I make her earn her keep on locally sourced hardwood, I realize when a workhorse needs a new saddle. I’m thinking about breaking her down and giving a needed reseal/gasket job. Also looking for a solution to the recently broken interior front door cast iron glass brackets.
Is there anyone out there making new doors or more importantly new glass retainers? I really like the added glass protection they provide. Anyone?? Thanks!!

image.jpg

Oh, sorry, I’ve see the new style stamped steel glass retaining brackets and am less than impressed. Really like the idea of the old cast iron brace that runs down the center of the door windows along with the edges. I’m striking out to find that replacement. I’m contemplating making my own brackets but if another wood heating guy has a fix before I start cutting and welding, I’m all ears!!! Thanks again!!

8D0BBBB3-32A9-4BA3-BB56-A1B87F137EFF.jpeg

i've never understood the desire to have fragile glass doors on these old dirty stoves. they get sooty so fast, there doesn't seem to be much benefit. maybe burning coal would allow for cleaner glass (with a coal kit of course). i would opt for solid doors and a screen for open burning.

So if you go to the Woodmans Parts Plus website and follow prompts to V.C., then VIGILANT 2 ( which yours is not but don't worry) you'll find llisted stainless steel glass retainers which replace the old cast frames. Don't think they're available any more. Use 1/4" rope gasketing, boom. Done.

Screws will break more than likely. If it's a nusiance, take the new parts to your local glass company, see if they'll handle it.