Hello All

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemxz

Hearth Supporter
Jul 17, 2008
Foothills of Western Maine
Been Lurking for quite some time, thought I would say hello. Lots of good info on here. Leaving after work to pick up my Englander 13. Hopefully I can round up some of the locals to help me unload it. Sure a complementary 12 pack will make it easier.

Are you local...???

the_league_of_gentlemen_PU.jpg

Heck, just secure a bone to the top and let that dog in your avatar pick it up and carry it in.

mainemxz said:
Been Lurking for quite some time, thought I would say hello. Lots of good info on here. Leaving after work to pick up my Englander 13. Hopefully I can round up some of the locals to help me unload it. Sure a complementary 12 pack will make it easier.

It's a two man job if you remove the door, firebricks and ash pan.

mainemxz said:

Welcome, and congrats on the purchase. I have the same one and couldn't be happier with it.

If you were a little closer, I'd give ya a hand unloading it.

Got it unloaded last night, just took the door off and lifted it off the tail gate. Not very heavy, compared to most of the stoves I have moved around. Surprised I thought this thing was going to be bigger than it is. Looks like the fire box will hold 3 sticks, and figures i cut most of my wood longer than the fire box will hold. Oh well will see what its all about in November. Question for anyone who owns one, and no i have not even opened the instructions. The cast "plug" that covers the hole to the ash pan. Does that stay in the firebox covering that hole or does it go over the air intake/outside air vent in the back of the stove? Looks to be built fairly well hope it tosses enough heat. Had to banish mother from the garage for the evening after she said it was cute. So now I have a cute wood stove and wood too long to fit in it.

mainemxz said:
Got it unloaded last night, just took the door off and lifted it off the tail gate. Not very heavy, compared to most of the stoves I have moved around. Surprised I thought this thing was going to be bigger than it is. Looks like the fire box will hold 3 sticks, and figures i cut most of my wood longer than the fire box will hold. Oh well will see what its all about in November. Question for anyone who owns one, and no i have not even opened the instructions. The cast "plug" that covers the hole to the ash pan. Does that stay in the firebox covering that hole or does it go over the air intake/outside air vent in the back of the stove? Looks to be built fairly well hope it tosses enough heat. Had to banish mother from the garage for the evening after she said it was cute. So now I have a cute wood stove and wood too long to fit in it.

Yeah, two guys can easily move it around. The firebox is 1.8 cubic ft, my first reaction was that it was going to be too small, but I had always been used to the older non-EPA certified stoves with much larger fireboxes. Believe me, this thing can throw the heat!

There's definately a learning curve to burning it though. Many of my initial burns, I let go for too long before shutting down the air control and got the house up to over 90F. How big is your house?

The plug in the fire box stays there. Its what closes off the ash pan. I personally never used it, as it seemed to small. I simply use a metal stove shovel and a metal pail and scoop my ashes right out of the door. Much simpler and faster in my opinion.

Don't worry.....once mother feels the heat this thing puts out come this fall/winter, she'll realize its way beyond cute. Although it is nice to sit on the couch watching the fire through the ceramic window with a cranking snowstorm raging outside.

Thanks Tfin for the reasurance. House is 1000 sq ft. Single level ranch with walk out basement. Open concept house, only 4 rooms in the whole joint and 2 are bedrooms. We are in the process of finishing up our latest adventure which is a 28x28 garage attached to the house with a 12x12 enclosed breezeway. New little tyke of a stove going in the breezeway. I am putting a double flue chimney in, will have a stove on the other side of the wall heating the garage. Probably not that far from you, in Mt Vernon.

Wow, small world, I'm just to the east in Sidney. Got a buddy that lives in Mt. Vernon....red house right between Taylor and Echo ponds on Rt 41 next to the big brick chimney.

We've got similar setups....our ranch is 960 sq ft but the stove is in the living room. You shouldnt' have any problem getting the heat from the breezeway to the rest of the house with an open concept. We actually close the doors to the bedrooms because we like them cool for sleeping. If you ever did need to move more heat from the breezeway to the rest of the house, there's a blower you can get that attaches to the stove.

Yup, I'm just to the north on Kelly Cir which is right off the Middle Rd up near the Middle Rd General Store.

Well if you ever need any info on the stove setup or hearth pad don't hesitate ask. Also feel free to stop by some time if you want to see my setup. I'm on the north end of the circle, right along the Middle Rd.

love how my stoves bring people together :coolsmile: lol

welcome to the hearth MXZ

thanks for the ringing indorsement tfin

and thank you both for choosing our product , i know it will serve you both well.

MXZ if you need any tech information feel free to ask away

Are we about to have an Englander group hug here? Not that I have any objection to that, it sort of seems like I feel it coming on. %-P Rick

fossil said:
Are we about to have an Englander group hug here? Not that I have any objection to that, it sort of seems like I feel it coming on. %-P Rick

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 156
At those stove prices, no T shirts are included.

BB, did you copyright that?

One thing to be said for Englander marketing...they didn't call it "cheap charlie" (who the heck wants a stove by that name).

Of course, we could have a T shirt with the small winterwarm on it saying "no heat, just bragging rights"....just kidding!

I think I am having an identity crisis. Does the Englander make me a blue collar guy? Or Does the Summit make me a upper crust snob?
I am sooooo confused.
Does this mean I have split personalities? And do those splits burn? ;)

Hogwildz said:
I think I am having an identity crisis. Does the Englander make me a blue collar guy? Or Does the Summit make me a upper crust snob?
I am sooooo confused.

lol , like jekyll and hyde with a few cords of wood , make sure its "hyde " that does the splittin. lamo

i think anyone who processes their own wood should consider themselves "blue collar" in the home heating department , regardless of profession. its work real work , but its good work.

Hogwildz said:
I am sooooo confused.

Name one of the stoves Sybil. :lol:

I'll name one Sybil, and the other Sibyl, and the new baby Lil Syibiyl. ;)

Attachments

• Sumlander t shirt copy.jpg
    Sumlander t shirt copy.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 145
Hogwildz said:
I'll name one Sybil, and the other Sibyl, and the new baby Lil Syibiyl. ;)

Or 30-Sumthing

Status
Not open for further replies.