Hello Everyone... need some advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SouthpawScissors

Sep 6, 2017
BuckeyeState
I have been using an add-on wood furnace (WF) that ducts into the plenum of my gas furnace (GF) for a couple seasons now. Heats the house really nicely all winter. Using little to no propane all season. A couple years before purchasing the WF I installed an Aprilaire 600 humidifier onto the GF. This also worked well.

Since adding the WF the humidifier does not work properly as it is installed on the GF and the humidifiers duct runs back to the GF return duct where the air isnt being pulled back into the GF since its blower isnt running. To remedy this I would like to install the humidifier onto the wood furnace plenum. One of the concerns I have is running the duct from the humidifier to the WF return. Will this add too much moisture and possibly cause premature rusting to the WF? What do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Will it's operation be triggered by the WF blower? If so, it sounds ok. According to the installation manual installation on the return side is permitted.
• For return duct mounting, position template at least 6” upstream of bypass duct connection or humidifier.

The rust you see on the heat exchanger of this wood oil furnace was caused by a poorly designed humidifier.

IMGP5535.JPG

IMGP5533.JPG