Hello from Afghanistan!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunny

Oct 16, 2013
S.E Michigan
New member here and soon a new owner of a 30 ton Iron and Oak splitter. Yes, I am currently in Afghanistan awaiting orders to get out of here. 22 yr Gunnery Sergeant of my Marine Corps about to retire next August. I ordered a new splitter from wood splitters direct. Anyone? Good/Bad? Yes, before you say it, I ordered a 30 ton because of 2 major reasons. I get all the wood I want for free. Friend of mine owns a firewood company S/E Michigan and any stuff that is nasty i.e.: knots, crotches, etc. is free. A lot of it! Plus larger wheels to haul up north, not on freeway but with 4 wheeler on property, 180 acres of free wood. Mostly oak (red/white) that grows there. I will split anywhere from 10-15 cords per year. I already have a case 446 w/ splitter that is awesome but the tractor has been giving me some problems. Comments? You guys have helped me pass down time and decided to join once I ordered the splitter. Back-order till November 15th. Easy wait as there are no trees here. If you have ordered anything from woodsplittersdirect was it backorder? How did it go? Smooth I hope!
Thanks
Gunny

Welcome to the Forum Gunny. No experience with the splitter but glad to see ya here. OoRah.

New member here and soon a new owner of a 30 ton Iron and Oak splitter. Yes, I am currently in Afghanistan awaiting orders to get out of here. 22 yr Gunnery Sergeant of my Marine Corps about to retire next August. I ordered a new splitter from wood splitters direct. Anyone? Good/Bad? Yes, before you say it, I ordered a 30 ton because of 2 major reasons. I get all the wood I want for free. Friend of mine owns a firewood company S/E Michigan and any stuff that is nasty i.e.: knots, crotches, etc. is free. A lot of it! Plus larger wheels to haul up north, not on freeway but with 4 wheeler on property, 180 acres of free wood. Mostly oak (red/white) that grows there. I will split anywhere from 10-15 cords per year. I already have a case 446 w/ splitter that is awesome but the tractor has been giving me some problems. Comments? You guys have helped me pass down time and decided to join once I ordered the splitter. Back-order till November 15th. Easy wait as there are no trees here. If you have ordered anything from woodsplittersdirect was it backorder? How did it go? Smooth I hope!
Thanks
Gunny

Good for you. Thats going to be an unstoppable machine at 30 ton. If there are no trees in Afghanistan, what do they burn for fuel? Keep us updated on your return. If you were closer, I would help split wood with you when you returned.

Last edited:
Thanks BB. We mainly burn diesel, generators that is. Not much of a need for burning anything right now as it's still in the 95-100 degree range every day. Thanks for the offer gzecc! I guess I will post all of my tools (toys) for wood destruction when I return.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Good for you. Thats going to be an unstoppable machine at 30 ton. If there are no trees in Afghanistan, what do they burn for fuel? Keep us updated on your return. If you were closer, I would help split wood with you when you returned.

What do the natives burn for fuel?

Welcome, Gunny. We have a fair number of vets as members here. (BB-Army, Me-Navy, for two). Stay safe for the remainder of your tour, and we'll look forward to welcoming you home. Rick

Reactions: Beer Belly
Thanks fossil! The natives, there are some trees near the mountains, what is left of them. Not much in Southern Afghanistan. They burn mainly their animal waste, dried. Yea, s%#t, smells great too!

Welcome to the forum Gunny

Welcome to the forum Gunny . Here's to a safe trip home !
Thank You so very much for your service to this country !

Keep you a$$ down Gunny, We want you to get home safely. ()
What are you going to be burning all those uglies and Oak in?

That should be a splitter that you can put in your will. Thanks for your service!

Thank you for your service, enjoy your retirement you earned it. Post some splitter/wood pics when you return.

Thanks for ur service!

A guy on another forum I'm on ;-) has one. Think he loves it but its never come up before?? I know he works it pretty hard.

Welcome to the forum Gunny. That is a good splitter but don't know about the supplier. We will gladly welcome you back to Michigan.

Thanks for years of service, enjoy the r&r of c/s/s this fall when you get home;)

Several things for you Gunny.

1. Welcome to Hearth.com.

2. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY. IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

3. You will love the Iron and Oak splitter. Top quality. I rent a 26 ton Iron and Oak and am very impressed. Some year when I can afford it I am going to buy one.

Stay safe man!

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Hey gunny, thanks for all you've done out there. That goes for everybody out there as well.
So where in Michigan you from? I'm in Cadillac (45 min south of traverse city). I know there's a couple others in the vicinity. Couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Least of all somewhere across the globe like Afghanistan. Stay safe.

I have the 20-ton horizontal model. It's been great so far. The only problem I've had is that it shears one of the carriage bolts that sandwich the the ram around the top of the I-beam when splitting a gnarly piece. Maybe it's designed to do that to prevent damage to anything else. I dunno. I just put a new carriage bolt in and soldier (Marine?) on...

Be safe...or as safe as you can be...

Hey thanks to all, Semper Fi USMC80! I can't remember the wood burner I installed in the garage. From TSC glass front and flat black. Yea, I know, a whole ton of stoves look like that you a#$! Just have not seen it in a while. My house is in New Baltimore, MI and property is in White Cloud/Big Rapids area, just south of you bmblank. Right near Sanctuary Ranch, if you know where that is. Next purchase is a wood burning slip for the fireplace in the house. I don't know if I am more excited about using the splitter or putting it together with a few pops. (Been awhile!) Maybe I will put it together and stare at it with a few pops. Yes, I don't mean pops!

Pops? Are you talking about your dad or beer?

The pearly pop with the foam on top.

Pearly?? What kind of beer is white.

Don't know about any white beer? Michigan, Yankees as my friends from and around N.C. call me, pops are soda's. We have always changed that term to apply to beers as pops. My dad is pops as well but having a few of him does not really make sense. He is pops and we in Michigan drink pops. Hope I could help sort that one out. You guys from MI can chime in anytime. Either way

Hey guys thanks for the likes and Trophy? Don't know what it is but thanks. To the admin guys, I will look it up calm down. Not really much of a forum guy but you guys seem to have a purpose to your discussions. Very interesting. Also I am going to hit the rack, goto sleep Clemsonfor, it's past 2130 here. I get up at 0430 and am tired from last night exploring this forum. Lots of knowledge out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.