Hello, just bought a Jotul f100 and have a couple questions..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveyj

Mar 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
I've been researching wood stove for a while, looking to do some supplemental heating in our 1900 sq foot two story.mostly small rooms on the main floor which is where i'm locating the stove Plan is to do an outside chimney for space reasons. i hadn't really been looking at jotuls because of cost, but i was wandering around getting prices and the dealer had a demo model for sale so...:)

anyways, with the rear vent option i now have, i'm trying to figure out if its a good idea to use that and run
straight out the wall , or will this create more draft problems? i origanly was planning on a corner install , removing a small window that is there and running the flue out at about eye level, but if the rear exit will
work with this style of chimney i should have enough room to leave the window in and exit under it . should be a little less work and a little more light in the room.

I've been reading the install book, and i'm a little unclear on the required clearances that go with the rear vent option, it says 18" with single wall pipe, would that be the new required rear of stove to combustibles, or is that required vertical/horizontal etc clearances?
is the rear/ corner clearances unchanged with the rear vent? ( i plan on double wall pipe anyways)

i'm sure i will have many more questions, the site has been quite a resource for a while now, thanks
Dave

tldr; bought a stove on impulse, now have to make it fit ;)

We seriously need a pic of that place you want to do the installation to advise on this one.

... anyways, with the rear vent option i now have, i'm trying to figure out if its a good idea to use that and run
straight out the wall , or will this create more draft problems?

tldr; bought a stove on impulse, now have to make it fit ;)

Welcome Dave. You can download the manual from Jotul's website.

I would consider not rear-exiting right into the thimble, but instead go vertical a few feet, then a 90º turn into the wall thimble. A direct connect out the back of the stove to the thimble is going to lock the thimble into a stove specific setup. This is not a nice place to be if later you decide to change stoves.

How about some more pics of the room? Right now, looks like your dealing with some limited space.

How about some more pics of the room? Right now, looks like your dealing with some limited space.
or just a lot of junk :0
the rooms about 16x30, combination living and dining room , the main floor of the house is pretty broken up, so i imagine i'll just be heating this one room with this heater.
i'm thinking i'll move furnature down to the basement when i get the hearth sorted out.

anybody see any draft issues using the rear vent and exterior chimney?

Why go exterior with the pipe? I would take it straight up and out. This is the less expensive route. It will look better outside and will function better too.

I'd have to run it right thru the master bedroom, the boss didn't go for that.
Stuck doing it outside, just have to make the best of it.looks arn't to much of an issue,
nearest neighbor on that side is about 700feet away thru the bush, if he can see it,
I'm going to have to start wearing pants when im on my deck :)

OK. I saw the attic vent just next to the red arrow on your photo and thought the pipe would be going up through the attic. What if it went straight up on the other side of the window, is that also bedroom or is that kneewall space? Or could it be chased in on a corner of the MBr?

If exterior, then I don't think the framing is going to have enough room between the window and the side wall. 16" puts the pipe too close to the wall. Even double-wall connector needs at least 6" clear. The second choice is better, but it is going to look awkward because it needs to be tall enough to draft well.

its kinda a weird layout up stairs, the house was a story and a half and one of the previous owners added the mbr as a addition.The boss was quite specific when i tried to talk to her about an interior chimney.. Some things are worth fighting about, not this one tho.

i'm pretty resigned to the fact that i'm going to lose the window there, more of a pain to try and match the siding than anything else.at least i'll have room to put some tile on the wall now, i've got a bunch of slate i'd like to use up.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.