Hello, Newbie here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So much great information in here. Snowleopard, great post! Thanks everyone for your input & advice. My wife & I pulled the trigger this past Saturday and bought our stove & hearth. The colors of the slate pre-made hearth & Hearthstone Shelburne in Basil Green look to compliment each other very well. Within the next month we will hopefully have the money for the chimney pipe, then put it in. Due to the interior wall the stove is going next to, the chimney will be on the street side of the house as I want to avoid all bends. This way it's going straight up out of the stove. Not too much pipe needed as it's a typical ranch. How many peeps in here did a single wall pipe on the inside of the house? & how many peeps in here actually did a cold air draw from outside to go into the stove?

My $10,000 question, is as a newbie, what dimensions should the wood I'm splitting be? The stove says a max of 20 inches for length, so I cut about 16-18 inches. What roughly should the width and height be? I'm in the process of splitting now and I don't want to be making this stuff too skinny so I'm constantly putting wood in. My stove isn't scheduled for delivery until Wednesday. I listened to the advice given here and foraged for a bunch of wood BEFORE I got my stove. BTW, all the wood is being stacked on pallets off the ground.

I cut my wood 16 - 18 inches. It's easy to handle and split in those lengths. As far as the split size, I'd just use a variety of widths and see what works best.

Good luck,
Bill

sheepdog000 said:
So much great information in here. Snowleopard, great post! Thanks everyone for your input & advice. My wife & I pulled the trigger this past Saturday and bought our stove & hearth. The colors of the slate pre-made hearth & Hearthstone Shelburne in Basil Green look to compliment each other very well. Within the next month we will hopefully have the money for the chimney pipe, then put it in. Due to the interior wall the stove is going next to, the chimney will be on the street side of the house as I want to avoid all bends. This way it's going straight up out of the stove. Not too much pipe needed as it's a typical ranch. How many peeps in here did a single wall pipe on the inside of the house? & how many peeps in here actually did a cold air draw from outside to go into the stove?

My $10,000 question, is as a newbie, what dimensions should the wood I'm splitting be? The stove says a max of 20 inches for length, so I cut about 16-18 inches. What roughly should the width and height be? I'm in the process of splitting now and I don't want to be making this stuff too skinny so I'm constantly putting wood in. My stove isn't scheduled for delivery until Wednesday. I listened to the advice given here and foraged for a bunch of wood BEFORE I got my stove. BTW, all the wood is being stacked on pallets off the ground.

Good for you going straight up. In a single story house the chimney is often short. I would go with double-wall connector pipe for better shoulder season drafting.

A mix of split sizes is nice. Smaller ones are good for starting fires and thicker ones are good for long burns. I would go no smaller than 2", with the majority of splits between 4-6" for this stove.

Thanks again for the tips. I split about a chord today. I have about 4-5 more to go. I am not sure of all the types of wood that I have though. There was one in-particular that was a PITA to split. It was reddish in the center and was VERY VERY stringy. The splitter had to labor a bit and the split was a bit messy. Some of the wood smelled really nice when split. Then I had a bunch of wood that once split was VERY white on the inside. I don't have any pine, I know that much. I think it was the Maple that had a crystal like vein running through the middle. I'm learning a bit at a time, thanks again everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.