Hello!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wayne Mo

Jan 21, 2022
Alexandria, New Jersey
Hello!
New member intro here 🙂
It’s my second winter running pellets through a new to me Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE.
It was existing in the front room of the house when I retired as a Mechanic for NYC Sanitation and moved from Staten Island, NY to Hunterdon County, NJ in October, 2021.

The only thing I had to do to get up and running was to replace the thermocouple at the mouth of the fire pot, which I did myself.
It’s been running pretty well, and I only fire it up when I’m around and when it’s in the 20’s or if it’s windy. It works pretty well, but I’m still building confidence in it.
I won’t let it run if I won’t be home for long periods, or overnight.
It does do one thing that I’m trying to understand. Every once in a while it’ll do an auto clean and it’ll dump some fresh pellets that will begin to smolder and smoke out the house. Other than that, it’s pretty impressive. It’ll use a bag approx every 12 hours, and I’ve been using Lowes “Greene team” that’s very available around here.

In the near future, I’ll be looking for advice to replace the worthless propane logs in my family room fireplace with a pellet insert.

Looking forward to participating here!

Welcome

Over time you will get use to it and trust it more. I am on my 3rd winter with the house I bought. It had 2 pellet stoves for heat, so I learned pretty fast.

With your mechanic back ground you will be able to maintain/fix 99.9% or the issues you come across. Pellet stoves are simple and this forum is a great resource.

FYI, I run my pellet stoves 24/7 in the winter for heat. When I am not here I have a friend come over every 3 days to refill the hopper. You could always buy a wifi camera to keep an eye on the pellet stove while you are not there.

Reactions: Wayne Mo