Help a newbie make a decision! Please! (UPDATE)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hct4all

Mar 28, 2010
Western, PA
First let me get this out of the way. I have about a $600 budget for a wood burner and chimney at my"camp" It is 600 sq feet. Located about dead center. I have 2 stoves at about the same price I am going to buy 1. US stove APS1100B $350 + $70 in freight.(EPA approved, 30,000 BTU) and a Summers Heat Model #: 50-SFP12LC $350 + $25ish in tax.(Non EPA not sure on BTU's) The stove will be used about 30-50 days per year. They both have about the same clearances.

After watching a video on the EPA approved stoves I am leaning towards the aps1000B.

WWYDOKO (What wood(get it) you do O knowledgable ones?

Best regards,

Rick

Additional info after doing some searches:

Well insulated
I also have an electric heater/furnace(It is noisy but wars up the place)
Located in Northern PA(Allegheny National Forest)
Typical night time lows when used 10-25 F Extreme -5)

I don't know how they get an exemption, but Englander's stoves work well. They make Summer's Heat. I think they show up in Lowes and other places like that. So the fact it isn't EPA approved shouldn't sway you. It has a decent firebox. Should be good for a camp.

hct4all said:
First let me get this out of the way. I have about a $600 budget for a wood burner and chimney at my"camp" It is 600 sq feet. Located about dead center. I have 2 stoves at about the same price I am going to buy 1. US stove APS1100B $350 + $70 in freight.(EPA approved, 30,000 BTU) and a Summers Heat Model #: 50-SFP12LC $350 + $25ish in tax.(Non EPA not sure on BTU's) The stove will be used about 30-50 days per year. They both have about the same clearances.

After watching a video on the EPA approved stoves I am leaning towards the aps1000B.

WWYDOKO (What wood(get it) you do O knowledgable ones?

Best regards,

Rick

Additional info after doing some searches:

Well insulated
I also have an electric heater/furnace(It is noisy but wars up the place)
Located in Northern PA(Allegheny National Forest)
Typical night time lows when used 10-25 F Extreme -5)

Summers Heat and Englander are the same stove with different branding..

Ray

If I was to only choose between those two stoves I'd go with the US Stove cuz it's EPA and will burn cleaner, longer and go through less wood. You might also be able to find a similar priced Drolet or Englander 13.

What are you planning to do for the chimney? That'll most likely be the expensive part.

Matt

I think the difference between the Summer's Heat 12 and the 13nc from the same manufacturer is that the 13nc has secondary burn tubes and is EPA approved. Otherwise the stoves look almost the same to me. I'd see if I could find a sale-priced Englander 13nc or Summer's Heat 13nc (same stove) at Home Depot or Lowes. At my local Home Depot they have put the few stoves left in the garden center shelves, and they are marked down. I think the secondary burn capability would be worht the extra money because you get a cool fire show when the secondaries kick in, and it saves wood. THe fire show seems more important for a camp, since you won't really burn much wood.

Thanks for the replies. The 3 local Home Home Depots all were part of a buy back program, so they have nothing left. I called 4 Lowes stores and they only had this stove. Only one store wanted to discount. The others said they will just set them on the shelf till next season.

For chimney I will purchase a "ceiling kit" I have seen the class a range from $89(True Value) to $188(Lowes) + the 3'pipe.

Can someone tell me whats wrong with the True Value kit(http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-4161/Detail) It seems way too cheap. I want to get the correct chimney for the application.

I will need about 10 feet of stove pipe and then a 4' Chimney pipe section. All told I expect tp have about $300-$350 in the chimney. So I will be about $100-150 over budget.

I am having a neighbor who is very experienced help with the install, but I am sure I will have many more questions.

Best regards,

Rick

+1 on the EPA stove, but you will need dry wood to burn.

Not sure what it really includes, but am sure it does not include the pipe which is the most expensive part. Call your local TrueValue dealer for details. Personally I would go with a more standard mfg. like Selkirk or Simpson for easy of getting parts. (I think Lowes sells Selkirk?) Expect a full kit to run a lot more than the stove costs.

Well, I made the jump. After calling everywhere I fould a lowes that would part with an Englander 13NCMH for $400. So I got the EPA approved stove and supported a US company. While I was there I talked the manager into the selling me the ceiling kit for half price. Total damages so far $522 including tax. Thanks for all your replies. In the next week or two I will be heading up to start the install. I am sure I will have mote questions.

Rick

Congratulations, nice deal. What parts came with the ceiling kit?

hct4all said:
Well, I made the jump. After calling everywhere I fould a lowes that would part with an Englander 13NCMH for $400. So I got the EPA approved stove and supported a US company. While I was there I talked the manager into the selling me the ceiling kit for half price. Total damages so far $522 including tax. Thanks for all your replies. In the next week or two I will be heading up to start the install. I am sure I will have mote questions.

Rick

Congrats on a great deal! If you think about it you probably will spend more on firewood than you paid for the stove the 1st year you use it.. That's an efficient stove and will use less firewood than a non-epa unit and will pay for itself in no time..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.