Help best replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Teachme

Nov 16, 2021
MA

SO i found this post And I tried to mesg him but I cant seem to. In any case I noticed his sig has a new stove.​

"mikepinto65

Minister of Fire​

Nov 5, 2008
Hi guys.
I was able to get a '77 Vermont Castings Vigilant, in mint condition, free from a family member about three weeks ago. I bought an external 8" chimney (not cheap) and recently installed it this past weekend with my father. I've read up a good deal about this stove but still have a couple questions. I've only burned about three nights with outside temp. right around 35-40 degrees. The stove heats like a dream, we'll defiantly save on our heating cost this year. I am however a little concerned with the amount of white smoke the chimney lets out (even with griddle temps 450-500). It dosnt really happen when I run a hot updraft fire, the smoke fades out with high temps. Its the horizontal burn mode that sends the smoke spewing. I know this is an older stove, but is this normal to see and have happen? I am concerned that I am not achieving the secondary burn that the stove claims is can do. Its just puzzling, even in the horizontal mode the griddle temp is still maintains 450-500 degrees. If anyone has experience with this stove i'd greatly appreciate the feedback. Is this just what is meant by a "smoke dragon"?

Jotul F 500 Oslo
Tim Sistem Alma Mons
Dolmar PS-510
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg"

My set up i s aLot like this guys

"Have an old vermont castings 1977 vigilant stove that I'm looking to replace with a new stove. I figure I may as well get one that qualifies for the the 26% tax credit.

I'd like to be able to have longer burn times 14+hrs, and be able to use the stove at lower heat settings. The VC heated the house more than enough, but it went through wood like crazy and didn't really run well unless it was running at high temps.

House is ~2000sq ft and the flue exits the rear of the stove horizontally into the wall. To keep install costs down I was hoping to get one with a rear flue exit option."

I have a Stone Fire place that looks like they had a insert in it at one time. Are the BK

Princess 32 able to flue out the back?​

Thanks for any help.​

All BK inserts and stoves vent out of the top. Take a look at Woodstock stoves. They have rear venting.

Can you provide the fireplace dimensions and post a couple shots of the fireplace?

Woodstock stoves
Sorry for the delay. Also I should add I have a 8 inch flu. TY

IMG_9067.JPG IMG_9069.JPG IMG_9070.JPG IMG_9071.JPG

Looks like you have a couple things going on there, a traditional BK insert will not work with that application, the insert must be installed in a full masonry fireplace which consists of a full 8" masonry floor, since the insert isnt tested for floor protection.
I think a small rear exit free standing stove would suite you better, I believe woodstock makes a few stoves that have rear exit flues, as far as your hearth and chimney liner, please consult a licensed chimney / stove installer, you want a good inspection to make sure the existing setup hasnt damaged anything and that the new setup is made safe, heavens forbid you have a fire, and its traced back to an illegal setup, they wont pay out any coverage, even worse if someone gets hurt or doesnt make it out at all.

Looks like you have a couple things going on there, a traditional BK insert will not work with that application, the insert must be installed in a full masonry fireplace which consists of a full 8" masonry floor, since the insert isnt tested for floor protection.
I think a small rear exit free standing stove would suite you better, I believe woodstock makes a few stoves that have rear exit flues, as far as your hearth and chimney liner, please consult a licensed chimney / stove installer, you want a good inspection to make sure the existing setup hasnt damaged anything and that the new setup is made safe, heavens forbid you have a fire, and its traced back to an illegal setup, they wont pay out any coverage, even worse if someone gets hurt or doesnt make it out at all.
Kennyp23399 Who would be a "please consult a licensed chimney / stove installer" In ma ?
and What "license" Would that be? a Gc Who builds house?

Last edited:
Kennyp23399 Who would be a "please consult a licensed chimney / stove installer" In ma ?
CSIA chimney sweep is what your looking for.

A chimney professional. They can be certified by several different organizations.