Help Chimney fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewdee

Feb 9, 2011
Central NJ
Chimney fire in masonary open fireplace insurance co sending a cleaner out with inspector what can I expect, and what would my best options be for replacement I wan't to use fireplace for secondary heat

If you really want heat- put an insert in there, with an insulated liner. Others may chime in, but even if the tiles are cracked, I think this is an option. It will heat way better than an open fireplace.

Get rid of the open FP - most are a net loss unless you burn 24/7 (and even then, some are). Like All Purpose said - get an insert with an insulated liner and enjoy life just a little bit more. :cheese:

Edit: sorry to avoid your question - After a sweep and inspection it will go one of two ways. Either you didn't have any damage done by the chimney fire and you are good to go (keeping in mind that you need to pay closer attention to creosote) or you HAVE done damage and the chimney is no longer usable without expensive repairs (at which time you install your insert with insulated liner and enjoy life just a little bit more)

On inspection, it appeared that we had also had a chimney fire that we had not noticed. A leak in the masonry in back of the fireplace was the reason for the inspection. We installed an insert and have been very happy with this choice.

I too loved my open fireplace until Oil prices went from $.85 (when we built the house in 1991) to $4.89 (June 2007) a gallon. Best thing I ever did was to put in this insert. Should have done it years ago, but I'm glad I waited (EPA stove).

Status
Not open for further replies.