Installing a fireplace with outside chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sharpstick

Dec 8, 2020
Hearma2173;
We're looking to get a fireplace or woodstove installed. Heating is nice, but our primary interest is in the esthetics of a nice open fire. (Florida) What are our options?
Can I install a prefabbed fireplace flush mounted with the rear outside the wood frame house and chimney pipe outside. It's a two story house and one installer(for a wood stove) said it had to go up through the second story and out the roof.

We're looking to get a fireplace or woodstove installed. Heating is nice, but our primary interest is in the esthetics of a nice open fire. (Florida) What are our options?
Can I install a prefabbed fireplace flush mounted with the rear outside the wood frame house and chimney pipe outside. It's a two story house and one installer(for a wood stove) said it had to go up through the second story and out the roof.
Yes it can be installed in a bumpout added to the outside of the house

While keeping the chimney inside the house works best, there are millions of external chimneys in the world (mine included) that work perfectly fine. Especially with just an open fireplace and not a stove. Did the installer give a reason why he said it has to be inside?

While keeping the chimney inside the house works best, there are millions of external chimneys in the world (mine included) that work perfectly fine. Especially with just an open fireplace and not a stove. Did the installer give a reason why he said it has to be inside?
Typically a ZC's chimney is chased in an enclosure. This helps keep it warmer then the outdoor temperature. If the chase is insulated it can be warm enough to behave like an interior chimney.

Typically a ZC's chimney is chased in an enclosure. This helps keep it warmer then the outdoor temperature. If the chase is insulated it can be warm enough to behave like an interior chimney.

This install is also in Florida, I would think an insulated liner in a masonry chimney or class a pipe would be sufficient.