Help choose a ZC for 1300sq ft (two story) home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AuGold

Sep 24, 2023
Tennessee
I have been recommended a Pioneer ii by a reputable chimney company, have also looked at FP16 and Lopi Medium Flush to replace my current fireplace but am worried the room will be uncomfortably hot. I don't mind cracking window if necessary but wanted to run it by you guys for any thoughts or recommendations?

Has to be zeroclearance.
I want to stay on the smaller side, I am okay w burning smaller fires to limit heat output but I then worry the viewing glass will just become dirty from not burning hot enough.

Thanks!

IMG_20230920_203035_459.jpg IMG_20230920_203040_354.jpg IMG_20230920_202956_978.jpg

I’m not sure Lopi make a ZC. Pacific Energy has a very good reputation. What is your motivation to replace the existing fireplace? You are aware that to replace a ZC with a new one is a rather involved project. $10k+ if paying someone to do the work.

Reactions: AuGold
Not sure you could put an insert in there. Is that a masonry fireplace or just a facade?
If masonry, Lopi medium could work but dimensions are needed.
If not masonry, then you’re looking at a ZC fireplace like a 36 Elite from FPX.
My experience is strictly with the Travis/FPX units. I’ve had both the large flush insert and now the 42 Apex. Happy with them both but there are a lot of other options with varying costs available to you.
Pulling that unit out will gain efficiency from what you currently have.

Reactions: AuGold
Do you know the make and model # of the current fireplace? There is often an ID tag on the door channel. A limited number of ZC fireplaces can accept an insert. If this is not possible, then a 1.5 to 2.0 cu ft ZC will work. The FP16 or Pioneer II would work. There are several others from Astria and RSF. When less heat is desired just burn a 3 log fire.

Tell us more about how this room is connected to the rest of the house so that we can understand how heat will move. Is the room closed off with a narrow doorway or open to the rest of the floor? How large is room, how many sq ft on this floor and in the house?

I’m not sure Lopi make a ZC. Pacific Energy has a very good reputation. What is your motivation to replace the existing fireplace? You are aware that to replace a ZC with a new one is a rather involved project. $10k+ if paying someone to do the work.

Yes I am hoping to keep it right at 10k-11k. I've looked at the fp16

Do you know the make and model # of the current fireplace? There is often an ID tag on the door channel. A limited number of ZC fireplaces can accept an insert. If this is not possible, then a 1.5 to 2.0 cu ft ZC will work. The FP16 or Pioneer II would work. There are several others from Astria and RSF. When less heat is desired just burn a 3 log fire.

Tell us more about how this room is connected to the rest of the house so that we can understand how heat will move. Is the room closed off with a narrow doorway or open to the rest of the floor? How large is room, how many sq ft on this floor and in the house?
It is a Majestic MBU36.
I really like the RSF options but my chimney company isn't a dealer for them. I've had the Pioneer ii and FP16 floated as options. I'd say 700sqft main floor and 700sqft second story.

Reactions: EbS-P