Help choosing a stove for my full-time living RV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jblivesmall

Oct 6, 2017
revelstoke bc
I will be moving into a 33' 5th wheel rv in the Kootenays, British Columbia. the weather in from Nov to March can go from couple of weeks of -20 celsius (-4F) to and average of -10 (14F) to + 5 celsius (41F). The Rv has a 'winter package" meaning double pane window, insulated underbelly, A R-12 insulated value on the ceiling, R-9 on the walls, and R-16 on the Floor. I am having trouble deciding which stove to choose. The 3 contenders are The Morso 1410, The Tiny Wood Stove - Dwarf 5kw, or The Salamander (Hobbit) rated 4Kw.
Also, I would like to hear if you thinks having some horizontal flue exit would greatly affect the performance of these stoves. The reason being, I read lots of negative thoughts about making a whole through a rubber roof rv. Thanks!

Last edited:
Short chimneys + modern EPA stoves = poor operation. Add a couple 90º turns and it gets worse. For that reason you mighty do best with a marine stove. These are often designed for closer clearances, bolt in design and short chimneys. They're not the most efficient, but they will work with a short pipe. Burn time will be short due to the small firebox. Inadequate draft may cause back-puffng into the room, smoke leakage and plugging of the chimney.

Can we assume that the stove will not be the primary source of heat? Whatever you get be sure to go a bit overkill on shielding, bolt the stove down to the hearth, and supply it with an outside air connection. Some small stoves don't have an option for outside air.

Search this forum for tiny home for other small stoves. There are others like the Sardine stove and this Canadian company may be of interest: https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/
This one is a bit larger and made in BC
http://truenorthstoves.com/en/products/gas/tn10-wood-stove

Where will you keep wood, or will you never be driving the RV away from your woodpile in the winter? Seems problematic, but I guess as long as you keep a propane heater for backup you can't go too far wrong.

No, just do like most winter rv dwellers and use a large propane tank and/or electric space heaters.

No, just do like most winter rv dwellers and use a large propane tank and/or electric space heaters.
the whole idea of getting wood heat is to be able to be 'off-grid' and my access to electricity is very limited. but tks

Where will you keep wood, or will you never be driving the RV away from your woodpile in the winter? Seems problematic, but I guess as long as you keep a propane heater for backup you can't go too far wrong.
I think I am way beyond these issues. I am trying to decide 'which' stove to choose, but Tks

Short chimneys + modern EPA stoves = poor operation. Add a couple 90º turns and it gets worse. For that reason you mighty do best with a marine stove. These are often designed for closer clearances, bolt in design and short chimneys. They're not the most efficient, but they will work with a short pipe. Burn time will be short due to the small firebox. Inadequate draft may cause back-puffng into the room, smoke leakage and plugging of the chimney.

Can we assume that the stove will not be the primary source of heat? Whatever you get be sure to go a bit overkill on shielding, bolt the stove down to the hearth, and supply it with an outside air connection. Some small stoves don't have an option for outside air.

Search this forum for tiny home for other small stoves. There are others like the Sardine stove and this Canadian company may be of interest: https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/
This one is a bit larger and made in BC
http://truenorthstoves.com/en/products/gas/tn10-wood-stove
Thank you. I may move the rv a few times over the next couple of years and it will not be in the winter months. too much snow here to even get out of our driveways sometimes. This is a 'living' set up, not travelling. ks