Help choosing a Wood Stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wes1222

Oct 17, 2018
South East Virginia
Hello,
I have been doing slot of planning and reading about putting in my first wood stove. my house is right around 2300 and change in square footage. It was built 8 yrs ago. I live in South eastern Virginia. my walls and floor are R19 insluation. I have a large open great room with an open kitchen connected to it with a dinning room. see attached photo for the layout in that photo, see the pen, I am thinking bout putting a stove there. I plan to use the stove as supplemental heat to my electric heat pump to help on the electric bill and for the amazing look of the fire and the cozeyness to it I have been looking at the Quadra fire stoves and lopi ones. However I have recently came across the hearth stone mansfield. wow! I like the soap stone idea. but the price tag.. lol. thoughts, suggestions, brands, comments please. I would like to hear most of the house by stove. I was worried bout my master being so close to where the stove would be and how far the other 2 bedrooms would be. I guess I could close my bedroom door. and maybe use my heat pump record mode to help move air to other bedrooms. thanks

Attachments

• 20181017_193129.jpg
    20181017_193129.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 69
Hello,
I have been doing slot of planning and reading about putting in my first wood stove. my house is right around 2300 and change in square footage. It was built 8 yrs ago. I live in South eastern Virginia. my walls and floor are R19 insluation. I have a large open great room with an open kitchen connected to it with a dinning room. see attached photo for the layout in that photo, see the pen, I am thinking bout putting a stove there. I plan to use the stove as supplemental heat to my electric heat pump to help on the electric bill and for the amazing look of the fire and the cozeyness to it I have been looking at the Quadra fire stoves and lopi ones. However I have recently came across the hearth stone mansfield. wow! I like the soap stone idea. but the price tag.. lol. thoughts, suggestions, brands, comments please. I would like to hear most of the house by stove. I was worried bout my master being so close to where the stove would be and how far the other 2 bedrooms would be. I guess I could close my bedroom door. and maybe use my heat pump record mode to help move air to other bedrooms. thanks
Soap stone is generally a gimmick, mostly aesthetics. Steel and iron are better and more practical for a wood burning application.

Reactions: Wes1222
The Mansfield is a big beautiful rock. If soapstone has your heart, also take a look at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid. It's a more sophisticated stove and a more efficient heater.