Help choosing the proper APC - UPS system??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjones139

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2013
Orange County, NY
I have read and read thru many of the previous posts on this topic. I have an Englander 25-PDV. I have a generator and my sole purpose of using the APC is if and when we lose power I don't want my house to fill up with smoke prior to starting up the generator. At this point I believe I would be fine with an APC 1000 or something higher. Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thank you :)

I'm using an APC SmartUPS 750 on my stove. It gives me about 2 hours of runtime which is enough to get the stove shutdown.

Reactions: jjones139
I've got an APC XS1500 with a pair of 90aH marine batteries wired in. It's good for about 8 hours.

Reactions: jjones139
Anyone know if i could put an APC or UPS behind the stove in the wall? My issue is that the outlet where the stove plugs into is inside of the wall so as not to have a cord showing. I know the space is tight but i have heard this could be a potential hazard.

Anyone know if i could put an APC or UPS behind the stove in the wall? My issue is that the outlet where the stove plugs into is inside of the wall so as not to have a cord showing. I know the space is tight but i have heard this could be a potential hazard.

Bad idea. These batteries produce hydrogen when charging. You want to keep that as far away from fire as possible

It needs air circulation to prevent overheating.

I'm using an APC SmartUPS 750 on my stove. It gives me about 2 hours of runtime which is enough to get the stove shutdown.

So you're getting 2 hours from your 750? I've read thru many of various different comments and many say you need a 1000 or more!!! I'm simply looking for something to keep the stove going while I get my generator started, which at max would be an hour in the event I wasn't home....

Any UPS 750 or higher will be sufficient. Even a 500 will work for some people depending on the stove. If you want more run time then just wire in more batteries. Almost all of these UPSs have the vapability to take an external battery.

Reactions: TimfromMA
Status
Not open for further replies.