Help connecting BK princess to chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shredit

Nov 10, 2017
Bonner , Idaho
Hooking up a blaze king princess to a chimney in a basement. the chimney has a 6" pipe stubbed out of it. I will need to come out and turn a 90 down (I'll probably use two 45s for better flow) and into the top of the stove. Im wondering exactly what materials I will need. Im going to use 24 guage single wall, this is only a temporary set up (3 to 5 years most likely). ive never installed stove pipe before.

-Will I need exact measurements and precise lengths cut or can I piece together some straight pipe/make my own cuts to get my desired lengths? (from chimney stub out to 90 and from stove to 90)

-Do i need a special adapter to connect the pipe to the stove?

-Do i need a special adapter to connect pipe to stub on chimney?

-how do i join pipe peices together? (some kind of seal, etc?)

-Is the pipe that I need going to be generic that can be bought at any store ( home depot, etc) or will I need blaze king specific parts?

Again, this is only a temporary set up and the only thing I will be taking with me when I leave is the stove so I want to keep it as cheap as possible, without sacrificing efficiency or safety.

Here is a picture to show what Im looking for. The part drawn in blue is the piping I need to install
IMG_3126.JPG

thanks!

Last edited:
What is the six inch pipe sticking out of the wall? Is it clay, is it stainless, ?

What sort of things are in the vicinity, in terms of combustibles to walls, ceiling height, etc.

A pic or three of your setup will be useful in getting the best responses.

Welcome and good luck.

Pipe stubbed out of chimney is 6" single wall stove pipe, I'm assuming 24 gauge. It is not stainless. There are no combustibles. Brick chimney, concrete floor, concrete wall.

Pipe stubbed out of chimney is 6" single wall stove pipe, I'm assuming 24 gauge. It is not stainless. There are no combustibles. Brick chimney, concrete floor, concrete wall.

Then use whatever pieces you need, cut to length, attach with the male ends of each pointing down.

Also check to make sure that existing pipe in the thimble doesn’t go too far in and restrict the flow up the chimney and-or make a ledge in the chimney for creosote to build up on.

Thanks, will do.

So back to my original questions...

Are there specific pieces that I need to attach to the stove and then the stub on the chimney?

Are they fastened together just with self tappers, any kind of sealing, etc?

Have you had the chimney inspected for safety? As far as attaching 3 self tappers per joint no seal needed