Help - Dangerous Setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I haven't been there in over 45 years on grade school field trips.

Sorry for the trickery, but I’ve been holding this thread in the back of my mind since a visit we made in the summer. I had to make it a little fun.

I do wonder how they could have kept warm in those houses. For the re-enactments they are usually cooking something over a small bed of coals. I bet in the 1600’s they probably built up a huge bed of coals by adding a little wood at a time. I can’t see a small fire doing anything and a big flaming fire would burn the house down. Somehow they all lived through it without (everyone) freezing to death.

The Pilgrim houses are small, maybe 150 square feet with 5 to 8 people living in it. For the Native Americans, what I showed is the winter shelter and they would pack people in compared to their summer shelters that have more privacy. A lot of staying warm was body heat and warm clothing.

And here we are today putting on shorts inside comparably huge houses because the stove is keeping the temp in the 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ispinwool
I went there when I was 10,almost 50 years ago.

Great thread!

Mayflower II is down at Mystic Seaport for a multi-year restoradion. Was relaunched and is back in the water for outfitting and rigging.

Reactions: ispinwool
Perfectly safe! No way that chimney will ever plug up. Burn at will. People dont know how good they have it nowadays.

isn't that set up the same as Ashfulls? Happy Thanksgiving everyone

NoGoodAtScreenNames...you win the Internet for today.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

If I had a fireplace like that I would of course have the rain cover on, but have the largest stove I could find inside. That is more like a kitchen then what we call a fireplace.

Well, one of these days I want to get back there and see "The Rock". My only claim to fame is my grand-pappy, and then some, was on the Mayflower and his name is on the Compact, kinda cool eh!

Our family came over 9 yrs later with the Withrop fleet. Went on to start a little town called Boston.

Lol. Read the whole thing. Good one.

When I told my then 4 year old or so daughter we were born "over there", she asked if we'd come here on the Mayflower.

Reactions: NoGoodAtScreenNames
Our family came over 9 yrs later with the Withrop fleet. Went on to start a little town called Boston.

Looks like your family beat mine in the rush to colonize . . . our family landed sometime before 1679 when John Johnson came over from England and ended up in Andover, MA.