Help deciding on fireplace or free standing stove in new 3 season porch.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jblnut

Dec 21, 2022
Central, MN
Mama Bear and I will be adding a 16x20 3 season porch onto our house this summer and I really want some sort of wood burning appliance in it. Partly for the ambiance and partly to heat it up a bit when it’s chilly but not cold outside.

I have plenty of wood around already as the house and farm shop are heated with an OWB.

My insurance guy says it’s not an issue as it’s part of the house and all I have to do it call it out on the policy. Sweet deal.

I’ve seen a few of your setups already but would love to pics or hear stories of what you have in your house or porch. It will probably get lit at most a few times a week in the spring and fall so it doesn’t need to be a super fancy deal. I want something that will last and not smoke much when loading it and that’s worth $$$$$$ in my eyes.

Thank you in advance !!

This is an example of each that we are debating between. No particular brand, just visual ideas. Not 100% sure on project budget yet but I’m leaning towards the over look of the second picture but with a vaulted ceiling like in the first.
IMG_0069.jpeg

IMG_0070.jpeg

Will you be controlling humidity in the summer in the new room?

Will you be controlling humidity in the summer in the new room?
This new room started as an open patio and evolved to a covered patio and then to at least a screened in room. The intent is not to control humidity or to heat it year round but more to provide some shaded bug free space we can be outside and enjoy an early morning cup of coffee and a late evening book.

I love the crackle of a wood fire and having a heat source in the new room is honestly secondary to just keeping the bugs out in the thick of the summer. If it’s hot and nasty we’ll stay inside.

We will not be building a full on windowed room so the term 3 season porch may not be quite accurate either.

This new room started as an open patio and evolved to a covered patio and then to at least a screened in room. The intent is not to control humidity or to heat it year round but more to provide some shaded bug free space we can be outside and enjoy an early morning cup of coffee and a late evening book.

I love the crackle of a wood fire and having a heat source in the new room is honestly secondary to just keeping the bugs out in the thick of the summer. If it’s hot and nasty we’ll stay inside.

We will not be building a full on windowed room so the term 3 season porch may not be quite accurate either.
Keeping a stove from rusting might be a challenge if you are basically using as a screened in porch that you can close off. I say fireplace.

Reactions: kborndale
Keeping a stove from rusting might be a challenge if you are basically using as a screened in porch that you can close off. I say fireplace.
That is an excellent point ……