Help deciding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
photo-5.jpgphoto-6.jpgphoto-7.jpg

Here you go....eye candy!!!

Nice, very nice! A C

Oh yea btw, now we gotta get that rancher saw outta you sig & get ya into a pro model.:)

Yeah, a pro model would be nice. I will say, however, that the rancher cuts great with a Stihl RSC chain installed.

That's nice. Good luck with it.

EPA regs have soured my view on everything diesel, so i'll stop here.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Isn't cummins the only diesel in light duty trucks to pass regs without egf?

They have EGR, but no DEF. That may or may not be a good thing. They meet EPA requirements with more frequent regeneration of the DPF.

I think that is enough acronyms.

The new dodge was not initially on the table at all...with a sticker price like that, it is hard to put it on the table. Interestingly, the additional incentives they are offering for diesel motors along with some other incentives that my sales rep found for me coupled with a generous offer on my trade put the new truck...ready for this.....almost $4000 below the cost of the used one I was looking at....don't ask how this worked out, I am just glad it did. It helped that I did my homework beforehand, producing multiple internet quotes, invoice prices, etc. and insisted that the dealer beat, not match, them. It pays to do your due diligence when vehicle shopping I guess. Pictures to follow.

Sometimes . . . it makes more sense to buy new than used . . . depends a lot on what you are looking to buy, what demand there is for that particular vehicle, time of year, etc.

Always . . . take time to do the homework if you want the best deal. Taking several hours out of your day to do the research on incentives, rebates, etc., pre-financing, quotes on pricing and pricing for the vehicles is worth many months of paying extra because one did not take the time to do the work ahead of time.

Congrats . . . I have to admit I was soured on Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep for many years based on many of my past experiences with their vehicles . . . but I do like the looks of their trucks and in the future may consider them again as a future purchase.

I have to admit I was soured on Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep for many years based on many of my past experiences with their vehicles . . .

Funny... I'm soured on Dodge from my experiences with their newer vehicles. I bought my Dodge Ram pickup new in 2005. The initial quality is underwhelming, as the reviews at the time suggested, but it was the only 1/2 ton American pickup still available with manual trans, V8, and extended cab, at my time of purchase.

A buddy of mine bought a 2500 at the same time, and had more problems with that than I did with mine. His body started rusting thru after just a couple years, and he had all kinds of problems with the paper-thin sheet metal they used in both the bed and cab. Once put a load of gravel in the bed, and watched the front bed wall bow out to touch the cab before he even started moving.

All that said, I'd buy Dodge again in a second, if they were still the only one to offer manual trans. It seems you can't buy a 1/2 ton pickup with a manual trans from any manufacturer anymore, American made or not, except a standard cab work truck with a V6. I guess an era has ended.

Funny... I'm soured on Dodge from my experiences with their newer vehicles. I bought my Dodge Ram pickup new in 2005. The initial quality is underwhelming, as the reviews at the time suggested, but it was the only 1/2 ton American pickup still available with manual trans, V8, and extended cab, at my time of purchase.

A buddy of mine bought a 2500 at the same time, and had more problems with that than I did with mine. His body started rusting thru after just a couple years, and he had all kinds of problems with the paper-thin sheet metal they used in both the bed and cab. Once put a load of gravel in the bed, and watched the front bed wall bow out to touch the cab before he even started moving.

All that said, I'd buy Dodge again in a second, if they were still the only one to offer manual trans. It seems you can't buy a 1/2 ton pickup with a manual trans from any manufacturer anymore, American made or not, except a standard cab work truck with a V6. I guess an era has ended.

If you haven't tried a newer truck with the 5 and 6 speed auto trans that's ubiqitous these days... do it. Totally different game from the old 3 and 4 speeds in trucks from the 80's through the early 2000's. The durability is there (Especially if it says 'Allison' on the oil pan ;) ) without the clutch maintenance that comes with the manual.

Yep... we've owned several newer sedans and SUV's with 5 and 6 speed automatic transmissions, and they are much improved, but I prefer manual transmission for driving on snow and ice. Until just recently, I worked on a mountain near the Poconos which was often frozen or icy in winter, and I was always nervous going down that mountain each evening after work with an auto trans, as it was tough to know when you began to slide until you were really in trouble. With manual, I could pop the truck into 4wd, drop into 2nd gear, and just safely coast. I've also realized how much more quickly I realize I've lost traction with a manual transmission versus automatic, when driving in snow, mountain or flat.

All that aside, manual is cheaper, never overheats when towing, keeps me more alert when driving, etc... Maybe if more people drove manual, we'd have less people with cell phones on their ears while driving. :p

Yep... we've owned several newer sedans and SUV's with 5 and 6 speed automatic transmissions, and they are much improved, but I prefer manual transmission for driving on snow and ice. Until just recently, I worked on a mountain near the Poconos which was often frozen or icy in winter, and I was always nervous going down that mountain each evening after work with an auto trans, as it was tough to know when you began to slide until you were really in trouble. With manual, I could pop the truck into 4wd, drop into 2nd gear, and just safely coast. I've also realized how much more quickly I realize I've lost traction with a manual transmission versus automatic, when driving in snow, mountain or flat.

I drove a manual tranny for years but really prefer my 2011 f150's 6 speed in the snow as well but the traction control is nice. I also have the ability to completely lock out higher gears or shift manually if needed.

All that aside, manual is cheaper, never overheats when towing, keeps me more alert when driving, etc... Maybe if more people drove manual, we'd have less people with cell phones on their ears while driving. :p

I like it!

Towed the camper this week with the truck for the first time. Didn't even know it was back there. That diesel is POWERFUL to say the least. I also added a "dualliner" bedliner...if you haven't heard of these, check them out...they are hybrid liners, look great, offer terrific protection, and include a rubber mat to keep your cargo in place...very good product. The hard folding tonneau cover is next on the list, then nerf bars, then a brush guard, then...then...then...

Status
Not open for further replies.