Help, door gasket won't stay in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
my dad has an outdoor boiler and we just replaced the rope gasket and used the tube of glue that came with it for the install. We used a wire wheel to clean the channel before gluing. The bottom of the gasket came loose after 2 days of burning. I think it is the creosote that glues the gasket to the boiler and that rips the gasket loose. He will only burn wet wood because "dry wood burns too hot". What do all of you use to put the rope in the door? Someone else said to use high temp rtv silicone.

Use high temp rtv. Lol

Seriously though that's what I put on mine, no problems. Buy it in the caulk gun tube and depending on rope size, mine is 1", use a generous amount under the rope and slather some on the ends where they meet so alittle bit is exposed to the eye with door open. Let the boiler cool down to the touch if hot and then put a plastic bag over the new rope, shut the door, and latche it. Wait 24 hours and remove plastic bag.

That's what worked for me. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.