Help Finding Right Stove for 24"-Tall Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moleman

Jun 11, 2018
Oklahoma
Hello, first post here. I have a fireplace that is 24"T x 40"W x ~22" Deep with an 18" hearth ledge in front. According to my calculations I will need about 6kw of heat to keep the main living area 30F higher than ambient temperature (40F during 3 coldest Oklahoma months).

My real constraint is getting a freestanding stove short enough into my fireplace. So far I have found a 4kw that seems like it would fit. Any suggestions for finding a 6kw stove to fit under my 24" high fireplace? I don't want to get an insert because I have heard they are inefficient, and I don't like the way they look.

This stove won't be used to heat the entire house, but as supplemental heating that should be able to handle the main living/dining area of the home.

Thanks!

The Hampton H200 might just squeak in with the short leg kit. I certainly wouldn't rule out inserts instead of freestanding stoves. They are not that inefficient, especially if some of the insert can project out onto the hearth and you will have a lot more choices. What style are you looking for, traditional or contemporary?

Reactions: Moleman
The Hampton H200 might just squeak in with the short leg kit. I certainly wouldn't rule out inserts instead of freestanding stoves. They are not that inefficient, especially if some of the insert can project out onto the hearth and you will have a lot more choices. What style are you looking for, traditional or contemporary?

Thanks for your advice. I want to go with a traditional look. As far as inserts and efficiency, I'm assuming they're still a lot more efficient than a fireplace?

Thanks for your advice. I want to go with a traditional look. As far as inserts and efficiency, I'm assuming they're still a lot more efficient than a fireplace?

Considering the fact that the efficiency of your fireplace is MINUS 10%, I'd say the answer is YES!

Yes, when burning a masonry open fireplace your primary heat source will run more not less. They are like a campfire. Stand close and you burn on one side and freeze on the other.

Ashford 25? Not a freestander, but if efficiency is a concern...

Yes, when burning a masonry open fireplace your primary heat source will run more not less. They are like a campfire. Stand close and you burn on one side and freeze on the other.

I knew they were inefficient but I always assumed it was doing some good... Now that I know I am all the more dedicated to doing a stove retrofit

The a look at the Enviro Boston's and Quadrature Voyageurs and see what you think.

Guessing Quadrafire Voyageur was the intended message from Begreen.
Yes, thanks. Hard to type well on a phone in a moving car well spell check thinks it knows better.

The Boston has a 30" height, and it needs to clear 24". The Quadrifire does appear that it would fit, but 3k is well outside of my budget.
The Boston is also made as an insert, but you didn't mention a tight budget. That greatly narrows choices. If you are looking for inexpensive then a Century or Englander insert would be better.

The Boston is also made as an insert, but you didn't mention a tight budget. That greatly narrows choices. If you are looking for inexpensive then a Century or Englander insert would be better.

Thanks for your help, I wasn't aware that I was working with a tight budget either until I priced some of the stoves. I'll check those out!

On budget, it can help to consider how much fuel you’ll be saving over the course of the stove’s lifetime, or even amortized over 3 - 5 years. Those numbers tend to be big, justifying the cost of a somewhat more expensive stove.

If its a standard brick facing you could grind out a mortar joint higher and put a new lintle bar in then remove the brick below the new lintle and put any stove the will fit with the hearth. Or if you have a big enough hearth u could put a stove like a manchester in and rear vent it with connector pipe and tee into a liner. Personally i would just put a boston 1700 insert in. It will fit your dimensions no problem

You can also make a steel panel on a rear vent stove to cover up the opening and stick more of the stove into the firebox behind the panel only problem with this is it makes it a little harder to clean and you trap some heat behind the panel but it lets u work with less hearth and makes it look clean

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 216