Help finding wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aelk799

Jun 5, 2018
Ontario
I’m struggling to find one or more examples of wood inserts that fit my application. More troubling, when I think I find one online, I can’t seem to find any showrooms to see it in person.

my opening is approx is 31.5Wx25H. the back is rounded so it’s 20” deep at the bottom and 16” at the top. Further complicating is the distance to the mantle. 17” to the bottom of the short side of mantle. 24” to the long side of the mantle. Mantle is 9.5” wide at the top and 4” wide at the bottom.

Some units which I think may work have fireboxes that are only 1.3-1.8 cubic ft.

we were set on the Napoleon EPI3C….but didn’t have clearance to the mantle as Napoleon includes the surround in its clearance requirements. it had a slightly larger firebox (1.8?) but looked very small in person.

then we looked at a regency Altera 1150. Its firebox is even smaller! And we can’t find one to see in person.

Someone suggested a Pacific Energy 2.5 neo. Seems to big and the smaller neo seems REALLY small.

my questions:

1. Is it normal to purchase these units without seeing them in person?
2. is my opening particularity small?
3. what size of firebox should I expect?
4. is there a blank schematic template on this site to record the various measurements?

id hate to have to move my mantle, repair holes in the brick and likely repaint the entire brick surround.

F3D30DEE-3203-4F0F-8E18-F1B3526FAF21.jpeg

I have been using an Alterra for 3 winters now and like it quite a bit, it is small and won't take big loads but throws a lot of heat. We have a small fireplace in our 1907 house. If you have an questions feel free to ask.

The PE Neo 1.6 is the same size as the Lopi Answer, 1.6 cu ft. The Alterra C1150 is a bit smaller at 1.3 cu ft.

The mantel issue you are having is due to the constraints of the fireplace. An insert that projects out onto the hearth will have higher mantel clearance requirement than a flush insert. But a flush insert, in order to have decent firebox capacity, is going to be either wider or deeper. If the issue is simply the mantle clearance then move it up or change the mantel. That may be the simplest solution. Then you can go for the Napoleon if that's a good fit.

Previous thread:

I had a similar issue trying to find an insert to fit in my masonry fireplace. Most of the inserts had a dimension or two that were too big. I ended up with the Pacific Energy Super Insert LE. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I bought it without going to a showroom or anything. It has a 2.1cuft firebox so not huge but not awful - and way better than the open fireplace!