HELP ! - Hearth build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigil Igne

Apr 26, 2014
Northern Wisconsin
Last minute and need input. Building hearth and not sure after seeing a previous post. Quadra fire Explorer III going on top and needs a Class I I hearth.

CONSTRUCTION: 2x6 frame, 3/4" plywood, 1/2" Micore 300, 1/2" Hardibacker, "Natural Stone and Large Format Tile" mortar (sold by HD), 12"x24" slate tile.

QUESTIONS:
1 - Hardie backer OK to use?
2 - is that mortar OK or do I have to use a non modified thinset?

Perhaps you could define Class II hearth so we understand the requirements.

From the install manual:

"FLOOR PROTECTION: Floor protector must be non-combustible material, extending beneath heater and to the front, sides and rear as indicated. The floor must be non-combustible or otherwise adequately protected from radiant heat given off by the unit and from sparks and falling embers. A layer of thin brick or ceramic tile over a combustible floor is not sufficient.
It is necessary to install a Type II floor protector of a minimum of 3/8 inch (9.5mm) thick metal clad millboard or equivalent with a minimum R value of 1.06, a minimum of 16 inches (406mm) in front of glass, and 8 inches (203mm) to both sides of the fuel loading door. Open the door and measure 8 inches (203mm) from the side edge of the opening in the face of the appliance.

I know I'm OK with the R value and clearances.

An alternative is to use higher R value Durock which is R=.39 for 1/2". 3 layers will easily exceed the required hearth R-value. Use of latex modified thinset is fine and recommended.

The last 2 tile jobs I have used Hardibacker over Durock as a personal preference, including my current hearth and stove install which I also used slate tile.

It will work when ember protection only is needed, though not my preference. Hardibacker is R=.26 vs Durock NexGen at R=.39.

Already have the Hardibacker so will just go with that. Good to know I can use the latex modified thinset! THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.