Help Identifying and Replacing Appalachian Stove Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edagimo

Mar 20, 2022
Virginia
Hi Everyone,

I just made this account just to post about this (and stop haunting the forums and start participating)! I have an Appalachian Stove, probably from about 2001 when the house was built. This is my second season burning and so far I'm pretty happy with the stove, though the inlets at the bottom get kind of annoying letting ash out.

Anyway! My blower just went out and I need to replace it (glad it's at the end of the season). I've looked for the model plate all over and in the stove and cannot find it. Can any of you help me identify this stove and blower replacement?

Thanks so much in advance everyone!

PXL_20220321_022041046.jpgPXL_20220320_224805497.jpgPXL_20220313_192540829.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like the one. Any suggestions on the replacement/rewiring? It almost looks like the box is welded with it in there. Or just a link to a tutorial if it exists.

The other reason I was hoping to find the model is that I've read some Appalachian Stove have cats and I wanted to see if mine is one. If it is, the cat most definitely doesn't work but I would like to get it to. The thing doesnt go through a CRAZY amount of wood, but any thing I could do to increase the efficiency without replacing the stove wood (🤓) be great!

Looks like there is a wiring harness on the replacement unit. Not sure about removal. Sometimes with these older units, you'll have to pull it to find out how it's in there. One suggestion is to take pictures as to complete each step to help you with the re-installation.
Don't know about tutorials...Sorry...

The 2001 Appalachian 4N1 was catalytic, but this is not that stove. The 4N1 had an arched door and window. This one resembles the model 28. Have you contacted Appalachian? The air intakes look like an older design. They would drive me nuts. Besides being dangerous they may have contributed to the blower failure due to ash being sucked in. In the least maybe put some stainless steel mesh (1/8"?) inside the stove in front of the intake holes.

What is the stove like inside? Does the stove have secondary tubes under the baffle? Or do you see a flame shield with lots of holes at the top front above the baffle? If the latter, it is a catalytic model.

Last edited:
The 2001 Appalachian 4N1 was catalytic, but this is not that stove. The 4N1 had an arched door and window. This one resembles the model 28. Have you contacted Appalachian? The air intakes look like an older design. They would drive me nuts. Besides being dangerous they may have contributed to the blower failure due to ash being sucked in. In the least maybe put some stainless steel mesh (1/8"?) inside the stove in front of the intake holes.

What is the stove like inside? Does the stove have secondary tubes under the baffle? Or do you see a flame shield with lots of holes at the top front above the baffle? If the latter, it is a catalytic model.
Sorry I never followed up on this! The air intake does drive me absolutely crazy. I've considered putting mesh in there, but the holes clog up with ash and having them open makes it easy for me to poke something in there and clear out the intake. No cat, sadly. I think the model 28 is the correct identification. I would like to replace it, eventually, but I have a ton else on my to-do list! Will give me plenty of time to come up with a suitable replacement though!

I was able to find the full assembly there!
Out of curiosity, do you guys have any suggestions on what would be a good replacement stove for this one? It's undersized for my needs and the vents at the bottom have jetted sparks which, as was mentioned before, is dangerous

1st step, you need to measure your fireplace to see what you can fit in it. I am guessing you have a slammer install so you can also figure installing a 6" insulated liner as well for your new insert.

I am partial to Blaze King inserts since they burn for a long time on low but most don't want to pay that much $$ for one.