Help Identifying Appalachian Stove Model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exmasonite

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2010
Novi, MI
Hey everybody. I was a more active member here about 4-5 years ago when I lived in Connecticut and had both a pellet and wood burner.

Circumstances changed and I have been without a stove but as my wife and I are currently looking for our next house, I was hoping to get a little help.

We found a nice house we like now that we are back in Michigan and the house has a wood stove insert in it. From what I have been told, it was installed in 2007 with a major renovation. It's an appalachian stove. I couldn't find a model on it for the life of me. I didn't want to make a huge mess and scrape off creosote on the inner door panel so that may be part of the issue.

Anyway, i have attached some pics of this ~ 10 yr old Appalachian Cat Stove. It is about 24-26" wide (one of the pics i put out the tape measure) but stupidly didn't get height or depth. Ash collection seems to be on the bottom right, blower on the bottom left. Has airflow adjustments R and L below door and the blower is vented out the front (versus the newer models that seem to have side/lateral venting).

Owner claims to have been doing the cleanings annually. If we can get to an agreed upon price, I will likely have one of the local companies come do an inspection along with the house inspector. Will also have to find out last time the Cat was replaced.

Any help or opinions on model/age would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20160722_130258_1469326144744_resized.jpg
    20160722_130258_1469326144744_resized.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 4,334
  • 20160722_130619_1469326143390_resized.jpg
    20160722_130619_1469326143390_resized.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 4,177
  • 20160722_130642_1469326141831_resized.jpg
    20160722_130642_1469326141831_resized.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 2,962
Hey everybody. I was a more active member here about 4-5 years ago when I lived in Connecticut and had both a pellet and wood burner.

Circumstances changed and I have been without a stove but as my wife and I are currently looking for our next house, I was hoping to get a little help.

We found a nice house we like now that we are back in Michigan and the house has a wood stove insert in it. From what I have been told, it was installed in 2007 with a major renovation. It's an appalachian stove. I couldn't find a model on it for the life of me. I didn't want to make a huge mess and scrape off creosote on the inner door panel so that may be part of the issue.

Anyway, i have attached some pics of this ~ 10 yr old Appalachian Cat Stove. It is about 24-26" wide (one of the pics i put out the tape measure) but stupidly didn't get height or depth. Ash collection seems to be on the bottom right, blower on the bottom left. Has airflow adjustments R and L below door and the blower is vented out the front (versus the newer models that seem to have side/lateral venting).

Owner claims to have been doing the cleanings annually. If we can get to an agreed upon price, I will likely have one of the local companies come do an inspection along with the house inspector. Will also have to find out last time the Cat was replaced.

Any help or opinions on model/age would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Isn't the rating plate located under the ash lip? Looks like there's one there in pic #10...

Do you mean that metal placard with red print in bottom right of the profile shot? It's just a warning about hot ash.

I was thinking there was supposed to be something on the Appalachian Stove name plate in the upper right corner and it got rubbed off somehow.

It looks like a 4N1 but maybe an older version? I wanted to get a ballpark price on a replacement cat and to know if the part is still even readily available.

Thanks.

I'm not able to help with identifying the model of your stove. The model on my 1992 Gemini is on a plate attached to the left surround panel. It ID's the date of manufacture also. Cats were readily available for my old stove from Appalachian and a number of other producers. I measured the old cats and got replacements. I have 2, and the cost was about $300 for both including new insulation which goes around each.

Sent from my little piece of paradise!

Thanks for all the info. I dropped an email to the address from TreeNut's post. Finger's crossed.

If we end up getting this house, it may be a question of just pulling out the cat and measuring it. May end up posting pics to the forum since I wouldn't know a "bad" cat from the Easter Bunny.

Tofriends- you mentioned 2 cats. Does that mean your stove had 2 cats or you have 2 stoves that each take a cat. Just trying to figure out how much I will be in for replacing the cat.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, dropped off the forum for a few weeks during some ugly negotiations....

But, looks like we are getting house... I am very psyched.

Mellow, thanks for the info. That link isn't working for me... not sure if it's dead or just pulled down 3 weeks later.

Any info or opinions on that stove? I am guessing that he bought it used and put it in the remodel or maybe had it lying around somewhere.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.