Help Identifying insert and then how to fix fan? (with picture)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mg93108

May 20, 2018
Joshua Tree, California
Hi

Can anyone tell me about this woodstove insert?

I have a crazy noisy fan. I'm guessing the bearings are finally shot. It's an old insert. I bought it used for $250 and at first the built-in fan was just fine but it's gotten more noisy with time. It would be super loud when we would first turn on the fan, after the insert was hot, but then it would quiet down in a couple of minutes. But now it's just loud all the time. It's definitely an older non airtight wood stove insert but I have no idea which one.

Who makes this stove and what model is it?

Here's a pic. There is a fan switch (you can see in pic). It's on the lower right. It has auto high/low or just on/off

Attachments

• IMG_5344.JPG
    IMG_5344.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_5345.JPG
    IMG_5345.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_5346.JPG
    IMG_5346.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 241
What was the noise? Rattle and shaking or more of a squeal? If the prior then it could just be very dirty if the latter then the bearing could be going or shot.

Take it out, clean it very well, lube the motor with about 10-20 drops of light-weight oil like 3-n-1.